Wildlife Engraving Scroll Through

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
MD,

WOW! Talk about artistry! It would be even a thrill to just own the preliminary drawings! Tnx!

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:WOW, WOW that 's amazing Art with a capital A!! Thank you for sharing the link, mdengraver! GREAT stuff! By the way: who said that hand engraving is not an art but a craft?? My humble opinion: I 'm sure this is real Art, made by a very good Artist, ...if it is NOT, than I am the Pope himself:yes! Kind greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Marcello

Ken,Thank's for sharing another fine artist & engraver,animal anatony right on.Marcello :tiphat:to you. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Personally, I like the drawings far more than I like the actual engravings.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I going to agree with Sam on this one. This is a good example of trying of a good design idea on a flat piece of paper and not translating well onto the guns surface IMO. But I've done projects like that where I just knew I was doing something really cool and at the end it looked like a cold bottle of grape soda pop left in the sun with the lid off. Just flat and unappealing.

Last edited:

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Let's face it. The bar of breath taking engraving has been set so high on this forum by some of the participants that even experienced engravers have a difficult time reaching that bar. That doesn't mean that engravings we see from time to time are not nice to the untrained eye. When we study some of the masters on this forum it does make us aware of extreme excellence. IMHO

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Reading the comments it sounds like DUGGABOY1 considers himself an authority on engraving. He refers to this piece as BULINO engraving. IMO, I consider it line engraving as contrasted with what we generally consider "bulino" using dots and/or extremely fine lines.

RB

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I love the drawings as for the engraving let just say that the employed technique is a little coarse

I loved the design. The artist knew the subject well including interesting perspectives. The eye incorporated an interesting touch bringing the subject close in a personal way.
The engraving looks like sketching on steel, but falls short of the elegance of the original layout. While still excellent work, why does the engraving technique translate less eloquently than the sketch?
Is this a line drawing that would have been enhanced through the softness of bulino graduation of tone?
Interesting lesson to be had here. The wrap around design layout was great.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have to disagree Scott. I love this piece and I especially enjoy the part where it is not a full on photographic quality bulino that many of the high caliber engravers are creating, but instead done with coarser lines and depictions. I don't think that all game scene engraving has to look like a black and white photograph to be cool, but I have a tendency to enjoy the "less is more." Show me more left out grape soda anytime, because I can enjoy it for what it is.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting to see the drawings then the engraving. Another thing comes to mind, which I have experienced seeing knives in pictures, then in person. There is a HUGE difference, and perhaps that would come into play here as well?

If bulino is not photographed precisely, it can easily look lifeless.

Scrolling down from the pictures, there was some dialogue regarding the transfer from drawings to metal.

Some parts look fantastic to me, such as the snake, the bird and the eyeball.

Sam

Staff member
Bulino does not need to be photorealistic to be good. In my opinion the engraving lacks not only precision cutting, but adequate shading values of grey and black. To me the majority of the work looks flat and like a rush job. I'm just not seeing what I'd consider to be fine work in this piece. Perhaps the bottom of the gun is the best part though.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What ever it is called... I wish it was mine and I hope to be that good someday...:hammer:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
It seems some have become quite critical of another style of work that doesn't live up to the microscope standards of bulino engraving. This method of "line" engraving is really quite nice and probably has greater depth than does bulino which can sometimes be difficult to see clearly unless held in a certain position...even by the very best engravers.

I've had occasion to handle a couple of shotguns done by Fracassi. They were magnificant, but....you had to hold the gun correctly in a certain position to see the photo like work. Fracassi has a wonderful talant, but so does this fellow.

I have a question for you, is Van Gough less of a painter than is Rubins?

Sam

Staff member
It seems some have become quite critical of another style of work that doesn't live up to the microscope standards of bulino engraving.

"microscope standards" have nothing to do with this at all. The quality of these line-engraved scenes is mediocre. The drawings, however, are quite good.

Latest posts

Sponsors