Restoration on a 1925 Stutz

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just restored all of the original factory stampings on the wheel cap nuts on this 1925 Stutz.
This is one beautiful car!

Attachments

• Wheel Nuts.JPG
    Wheel Nuts.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Stutz Side View from rear.jpg
    Stutz Side View from rear.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 120

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good eye!!
Yes...knock-offs or wheel nuts. I think you could call them either name.
Some knock-offs usually have those protruding ears, or wings, that can be pounded off/on with a hammer.
Here, a big socket fits in the center for turning on or off.
The internal threading is reversed on the right side of the vehicle (Left hand threads) These of course are marked for the left side (or the right side) along with direction arrows.
Modern cars now have 4 or 5 lug nuts and with the implementation of very fine threads, you don't need left handed threading.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Yes...knock-offs or wheel nuts. I think you could call them either name." in modern race cars, those are known as 'center-lock' hubs.

btw- could you elaborate on the restoration process? completely machined from scratch, cleaned up & re-engraved, or?

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Modern cars now have 4 or 5 lug nuts and with the implementation of very fine threads, you don't need left handed threading.
Chrysler was the last holdout for left-handed threads and finally got rid of them in the mid-60's. Right side lugs were right-handed and left side were left-handed. The wheel studs were stamped with R & L, but not the lug nuts. They were a source of great irritation to young mechanics (and their bosses) who couldn't get them loosened, or cross-threaded a right handed lug nut on a left handed stud. Righty tighty....lefty loosey didn't apply to them.