+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Restoration on a 1925 Stutz

I just restored all of the original factory stampings on the wheel cap nuts on this 1925 Stutz.
    This is one beautiful car!
    Attached Images
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com
    http://engraversnotebook.blogspot.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

Post Thanks / Like

VERY cool Brian! They look great as does the car. Bearcat I presume:big grin:
    Peter E.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not a Bearcat.Just a Model 1925.
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! They look to be more involved than just a dust cap. Are they like Knock-Off's? Does some kind of wrench fit into the cap? Thanks
    Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good eye!!
    Yes...knock-offs or wheel nuts. I think you could call them either name.
    Some knock-offs usually have those protruding ears, or wings, that can be pounded off/on with a hammer.
    Here, a big socket fits in the center for turning on or off.
    The internal threading is reversed on the right side of the vehicle (Left hand threads) These of course are marked for the left side (or the right side) along with direction arrows.
    Modern cars now have 4 or 5 lug nuts and with the implementation of very fine threads, you don't need left handed threading.
    Last edited by BrianPowley; 12-16-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com

Post Thanks / Like

"Yes...knock-offs or wheel nuts. I think you could call them either name." in modern race cars, those are known as 'center-lock' hubs.

btw- could you elaborate on the restoration process? completely machined from scratch, cleaned up & re-engraved, or?
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

Post Thanks / Like

Modern cars now have 4 or 5 lug nuts and with the implementation of very fine threads, you don't need left handed threading.
    Chrysler was the last holdout for left-handed threads and finally got rid of them in the mid-60's. Right side lugs were right-handed and left side were left-handed. The wheel studs were stamped with R & L, but not the lug nuts. They were a source of great irritation to young mechanics (and their bosses) who couldn't get them loosened, or cross-threaded a right handed lug nut on a left handed stud. Righty tighty....lefty loosey didn't apply to them.