Shotguns finished

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Shotguns finished 2

For those of you who need or want some encouragement to study...
I cut out a portion small enough to have it in the full resolution of my Panasonic G1 camera. The engraved area is 1,170 inch wide. The other picture is a 1200 dpi scan of a print of the engraving. (Inverted and edges softened in PS)

Martin

Attachments

• Detail of engraving full resolution.jpg
    Detail of engraving full resolution.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 1200dpi scanned print.jpg
    1200dpi scanned print.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Both threads of your latest shotgun engraving are wonderful study tools, Martin.
Thank you for all the work and the great photographs.
Seasons greetings to you and your.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great Martin!!
I love it. I haven't had the time to do more of what you taught me but it is still stuck in my mind. I can see the work in my mind but now I need to practice and put it in metal!
Thanks,
Rex

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Martin,thanks! Thats just what i needed to see.Is this all hammer work?Or do you use the push tool for shading?What type magnification do you use?Thanks in advance.mike

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, no hammer or chisel -except for the fish scale on the opening lever and safety. It was done solely with push gravers. I have power tools, but could not imagine using these as the steel was soft and the engraving quite fine. Please see the new pictures for size comparison or just print the other pictures to the specified size. Oh, and please consider that my thumb is not that big...
I have a Meiji scope and use it only for detailing and finishing the birds and for engraving my signature. All the rest was done with a 2 1/2 power headband loupe and the equipment you can see in the picture.
Martin

Attachments

• very small guns.jpg
    very small guns.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 131
  • comparison for size.jpg
    comparison for size.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 130
  • In the studio.jpg
    In the studio.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You must be strong as an ox to have that kind of control hand pushing. Fantastic and thanks for sharing!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Martin,

It is always a treat to read your postings, and thank you for this latest thread!

I treasure your gift of the 'Strolz' hand made graver handles, and the fine set of special tools you made for each and every member of last year's class.

Winter rains here on the West Coast are frequent and heavy, and I am yearning for some sun to allow pleasant walking up the river path. Have you strapped on your skis this season?

best wishes!

Rod

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
I dont see any heel on the tool? Do you feel that this work is to small for the chisel? Is that bent handled tool a burnisher?Scraper? Those scale pics are just what i need.As i am in Alaska,U.S.A,and have never seen another engraver to see these things.Most posts dont have any scale to compare with.What brand visor is that?

Do you fully design this before any cutting? Do you hand draw on the steel?Or make a transfer?Do you then scribe it,so it doesn't rub away while cutting? mike:confused:

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Martin, It brings back memories of a wonderful class. Very well done.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the wonderful shots of your engraving, Martin! Brilliant work and very inspiring. :beerchug:
~Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors