What To Do when Gun-Bluing a Bulino Scene?

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
What Do You do when a Part that has a Bulino scene on has to be Gun Blued,? Do One Mask the area of before Bluing, and cover with a clear Acralic afterwards, Or Fine Sand and clean up the scene after bluing,?

Do You Need to Clear Acralic it for Protection, or just keep it lightly oiled.

I wan't to maintain the high Contrast Between Black and Light. Otherwise I think a Bulino Scene would just Melt in with the Background.

Any Help Would be Apreciated.!!!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris
After the whole gun is blued, I remove the blue from the scene area with toilet bowl cleaner. I just sit by the sink and use a tiny brush to carefully apply the solution. I usually start from the center out towards the edges. Others I know like to use Navel Jelly or bluing remover. Either way make sure you rinse thoroughly and I also rinse with warm water and baking soda to neutralize anything. I have also used this to remove case colors.
Hope this helps
Marty

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty seems to much more brave than I am...
I like to mask off the blue area around the scene with fingernail paint or just some sort o smooth flowing paint. I had found in the past that the fumes of the acid would effect some edges. Once done, remove the paint. Sometimes you may need to even the gray surface with a pink eraser or some sort of compound.
Usually they are just left oiled after this. The blue/acid gives the scene a "pickled" effect.

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Marty, Will Give it a Try, But Will mask the area around it First, Just to be Safe,
Like Rex Says, I'm not that brave Yet.!!!!

Will Post the Finished Plate

Latest posts

Sponsors