Time to introduce myself

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like your idea Sam!

Andrew, I have no argument with you. One of the things I was trying to point out is that this forum has now gone truly international and that some folks don't have a fluent understanding of English. Relying on translators like word monkey and babelfish they might miss some of the subtle idiosyncrasies such as the prefix buttons. As for PMing every time one might wish to critique someone who hasn't used the critique request button, again no argument from me, but then you have the scenario where only one person is benefiting from the critique not the forum as a whole. I certainly do not have the time to do individual PMed critique, and neither would I want to because, as I say, only one person benefits. Just look at the great critiques you give with regards to designing scrollwork for example. Not only does the original poster gain from it but a myriad of other people too. If you had to email every poster individually my guess is you'd soon give up.

I think Sam's signature idea is one of the best I've come across and is very clear to every member of the Café.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think this discussion on critique, about wetter or not and how and when is not hijacking Jeroen’s tread. As that is something he mentioned while introducing himself.
When I came in this Café, there was not a Critique request button. On bottom of every tread I started I asked for critique as I was hungry to receive it. This for me was the only way making it possible to improve my skills.
And as already said by other active members, we all learned from that, not just me.

So that is probably why Jeroen says “So from now on, if I like what you're showing or doing or telling, I'll let you know. Also if I don't like it and whyâ€

I remember when and why the critique request button was introduced. Also that by doing that, some treads became less interesting. Therefore I think it is important we all are able to deal with critique, as long as the one who’s giving it can explain how to make things better. And as far as I can remember, there was never any critique between Master Engravers. Not even between novice and Masters.
I once did to Phil, when I thought seeing a scratch on a H&H which in fact was the shape of two parts of the H&H that I thought was one piece. So if I would not have pointed on that, I never would have known. But you must agree that it is not obvious for a novice to point on a scratch to Phil Coggan.
I think we all have to be open for critique, as long as you help to improve that what you criticize.

Sam, indeed there are perhaps 4000 members, but when you look at there posts, I think there are only 100 really active members, all the others that are just looking, do they contribute making engraving more famous or refining techniques? I don’t think so.

I think most active members like critique on their work. OK a client can read this as well. For me I don’t care having critique on my work that has already a client. That because I know I do the best I can, and if I would have made a big mistake on one, I would start all over if the critique that was given showed a major mistake.

Sending critique using a PM, as Marcus says, that will not help anyone and takes to much energy. And then it is just critique from one person, and difficult for the one who receives the critique to find out if it is the right critique.

Sam’s idea having a “C&C Welcome†signature sure is not a bad idea, but I think the majority of the Café members can deal with critique.
So why not doing the reverse; having a “don’t critique this one†button. It can be used for work that has a customer. This forum did a great job before introducing the “critique request†button, so why changing the rules when it went wrong one time?

I’m also convinced, that the less helping critique there is, the more boring this forum will be. As then you could also add a “like it†button. Then all of us just post and look and sometimes push the “like it†button the way it is done on FaceBook.

And so once again, in my opinion it is not the quantity of members that makes a forum interesting, it is the quality. And quality for me is being able to see high-end engravings as well as novice work. And I’m convinced that we all learn from both as long as we can discuss it.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors