New Shop - In Progress

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Seems like my whole life, I’ve worked out of dirt floor shed or at best a dark corner of a garage. I’ve always dreamed of having a serious shop.

6 years ago I poured the foundation for my dream shop. Since then there was always one thing after another that kept me from building. My friends have teased me for years, “When do you think that concrete is going be cured enough for you to start building?†or “Is that parking lot of yours getting much business?†In the mean time, I’ve worked out of the hay loft of my horse barn.

Finally, a couple of months ago, I hired a crew to get the walls and roof up and I’m proud to say it is officially dried in now. There’s a whole lot of work left to do and lot of expenses to be met along the way. I will do the all the interior build-out, electrical, plumbing, and finish out myself but hopefully by late Spring or early Summer I’ll be moving in.

The building is kind of unusual in that it is framed with 6x6 lumber and steel purlins. The right side of the downstairs is going to be dedicated to metal working, and the left hand side will be setup for wood working with a vacuum system and air filtration system. The upstairs will be reserved for the artistic work of drawing and engraving.
The building is 44’ wide and 50’ deep. The downstairs is 2,200 square feet and the upstairs is 800 square feet.
(My wife and I live in a tiny one bedroom cabin so I feel a little guilty for having so much room.) :rolleyes:
Thanks for looking.

Jim

Front of shop

Downstairs

Downstairs

Upstairs

hiloboy

what a great looking work shop:thumbs up:i'll bet your going to have fun filling that up with tools....

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Outstanding! Dedicated shop space is a thing of beauty no matter how big it is.
Let me know if you plan to hold any barn dances in there; I know some string bands who would love to make the music.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That will be a dandy!!!! Just make sure you make your wife some cool stuff to help justify the new shop to her.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What a great set up. I hope you sell lots of those engraved horseshoes. By the way I think I saw an ad for your horseshoes in a magazine recently. Was it Cowboys & Indians?

Roger

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Jim.... the cabin is hidden but I can see your shop roof from downtown Seagoville! WOW!
Excellent accommodations...
Jerry

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. It does my heart good to hear from so many well-wishers.

Fred, I think it would be fun to have a dedication party , so be careful what you wish for, I may be asking for a string band sooner than later.

To put things into perspective, here's a picture of my hay loft studio. While it is cozy and while I do appreciate having a dedicated place to work. It's only 10' x 12' and the ceiling is so short, I have to be careful standing up not to bump my head. The new shop is going to be a huge improvement.

Hey Jim

Now that is a real man cave!!! Yahoooo!!!

Can I come and play at your place :)

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Andrew, you're always welcome at my sandbox.

That will be a dandy!!!! Just make sure you make your wife some cool stuff to help justify the new shop to her.

Seth, I learned a long time ago to give my wife the first one of any new piece of jewelry I come up with. She reps my work and several other western artists' work. If I didn't keep her outfitted, she's be wearing somebody else's designs! (She's working a booth at NFR right now helping to pay for this new shop.)

What a great set up. I hope you sell lots of those engraved horseshoes. By the way I think I saw an ad for your horseshoes in a magazine recently. Was it Cowboys & Indians?

Roger

Hi Roger, yes I advertise in C&I several times a year. They're good people and have been really good for my business.

Jim.... the cabin is hidden but I can see your shop roof from downtown Seagoville! WOW!
Excellent accommodations...
Jerry

Jerry, I guess that means I won't be able to hide it from the tax man either. Hey since you're only a couple hundred miles north, we're practically neighbors. You need to stop in sometime and say howdy.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
FANTASTIC Jim! Congratulations on a dream coming true!

That is an absolutely great looking shop.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh man! am I envious!!!! I've got this 17' wide path (with a 20+" butt) snaking through my single car garage so I can reach all my cool tools. I SO want a dedicated engraving and fabrication workshop! I know you will have a great time there. Hope to see you again in Reno this coming January.

Latest posts

Sponsors