Practice Plates

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
I really don't know that I need to post these here as I can see most all the mistakes but don't necessarily know how to correct them
This is a copy from a GRS booklet. The first pict I posted in here back in July 07..my very first contact with engraving and tools( probably should have been arrested for posting this)...the second is one I finished yesterday and the third outline I did this morning.
Mistakes I see...
controlling depth of cuts
terrible shading
flat where it should be round
Basically, everything.
But just in case I've missed something or you've got a few hints to help me...I'm all ears.
You would think after 3 years, I'd be much better. My work carries me out of town for weeks/months at a time. I'm only able to engrave when I'm home the few weeks I have between jobs.
Have at it..I want to hear all your suggestions.

Jerry

Attachments

• practice 003.jpg
    practice 003.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 179
  • practice 001.jpg
    practice 001.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 248
  • practice 002.jpg
    practice 002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 196

rodsta

Elite Cafe Member
Not bad for starting out. Don't beat yourself up over it, just practice more. You have already made it to the point where you realise your errors and that is progress. Now study everything that you see on here and I mean study to the point where you see what each line is doing and how it impacts the piece you are doing.
Most of this comes with time and lots of practice.
Rays shading tutorial has been mentioned here. It's worth taking a look at as well as the many books and classes that have been mentioned.
It sure doesn't happen overnight....*smile
Rod

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Jerry,
You are doing fine, keep cutting.
Your third picture shows a lot of improvement.
If you are going to do a background, next time take a look at Brian Powley's post about stippling. Cut lightly first, do background and then recut the lines.
It will give you cleaner edges than you show in picture #2 and look sharper.
Best.
John.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jerry

I agree with the others. You are doing just fine. There is a improvement in what you are doing and that is progress. You have everything in place...........it just needs to get better.

There is one very important thing that you have hit on. And that is probably the most important thing.............And that is seeing your own mistakes. Correcting them is a practice thing and constant study of good engraving. Over time and with lots of practice those bumps will smooth out and the shading become more refined.

The other issue is time. Obviously you are restricted in that area so it's going to stretch over a longer period. If you were to practice 8 hours a day, every day, then progress would be quicker. You can only do what you can only do!!

The last thing is enjoyment. If you enjoy what you are doing and get excited about it, study and practice as often as possible, then you will also progress.

Your doing just fine :)

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree too that you are doing fine. I also think all of us started this way. And as long that you see where you can improve next time, you will make progress by practicing. As that is the key to success.

arnaud

monk

Staff member
you're aware of your bad spots. practice will make them less and less evedent. you may not have the chance to do engraving, but drawing ? get yourself a quality looseleaf notebook. draw when you can, and you'll have a record of your progress. as your drawing improves, your engraving is sure to follow. jmho

ian morrison

Jerry,

I think that most of us can look at these practice plates and remember where we started too. You are doing fine, just keep cutting. I'm not sure what magnification that you are using, but if it's not a microscope, I would highly recommend trying one. I think that you will be amazed at what you can do when you can see. Keep cutting!

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Ian, I've been using only an optivisior. I actually have a new scope but have yet to put it up. I know the inability to see well is part of my problem. I do have trouble seeing where I'm placing my graver on the metal. When shading..it's almost a guess....that an that dang little curl that seems to want to curl right on top of my guide line with every cut!

Jerry

ian morrison

Jerry,

You gotta get the scope up. It will be well worth it. It will take some getting used to, looking forward and engraving down below, but trust me, it will change your skill level fast. As for the curl, I would recommend engraving parallel to the line that you are cutting, or try tilting your graver to the "outside" of the line. It will make the curl move in that direction. It also helps when you are planning on removing the background anyway.

Ian

Jeroen

Jerry

your point is clear: the forum is ideal te learn, but there is a long way in time and progress between the starters and the pretty good ones here... (not to mention and compared to the best...)
It might stop you from trying and showing, but it shouldn't. We all have our lives beside the engraving, less or more filled, leaving more or less time to practice engraving.
As long as there is progress and joy in learning and practicing, what's the problem?
And as Monk says: a lot of papers I have to get through during (endless) meetings get filled with backbones, scrolls and leaves...

Jeroen

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Ian, I've been using only an optivisior. I actually have a new scope but have yet to put it up. I know the inability to see well is part of my problem. I do have trouble seeing where I'm placing my graver on the metal. When shading..it's almost a guess....that an that dang little curl that seems to want to curl right on top of my guide line with every cut!

Jerry

Jerry, I expect you know this but others might not.
When the curl is covering up your line just lay the graver over one or two degrees left or right and the curl will move off your line.

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John..I didn't know this...learn something new everyday..I'll give it a try.

Jerry

Latest posts

Sponsors