Thieves visited me in my shop

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It just seems just a few weeks ago when Mario told us about he had uninvited visitors in his workplace / shop.

Yesterday morning I had thieves in my shop. They forced the rolling shutter on the front door, broke the window in the front door and so came into my shop.
They broke all the windows of my jewellery showcases and took whatever they could.
Probably they only needed 3 minutes.
Most of my gold jewellery is in the safe, the Titanium however they were in the showcases.
I thought it would not be attractive to thieves, as the material in fact has no value.
But the thieves probably didn’t know that and took most of it, dropping some on the ground between the broken glasses.

I worked in my shop till 1 PM, so I think never the less this is quite frustrating having thieve visitors, I’m lucky that they didn’t visit me earlier while I was at work.

The loss is about 10.000 euro and 15.000 euro.

Sure now I’m in the newspaper on the front-page, which is good publicity. I filled my showcases with all the broken glass adding a printed paper telling what happened.

This will be my window for the holidays to come.

I already have some new orders as I receive people’s sympathy and compassion.

Here is a list of what is stolen; yes also the Titanium wedding rings with the text on the outside. I have to make those again as the wedding will be this month.
I think these rings have only value for the client and myself for the fine work, anyway the thieves took them and probably will throw them away.

Quite frustrating that is, especially because most of these are exclusive hand made jewellery.

arnaud

Here are some that are stolen:

Titanium

18 ct Gold

Titanium

Titanium

Titanium

18 ct Gold

18 ct Gold

18 ct Gold

Titanium

Titanium

Titanium

Titanium

Titanium

18 ct Gold

18 ct Gold

Titanium

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are some more photos of my shop after the thieves left. Also the newspaper I’m on now.
One thing I’m glad about is that my atelier has no damage. So I can still work

arnaud

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry to see that happen to you Arnaud. It's happened to some of my other jeweler friends through the years also. Hopefully the thieves will die a painful death some day.

Here in the Wild West... it isn't a good idea to break in like that. Many of us are always well armed. :eek:

I hope you had some good insurance and I hope this never happens again.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Doc for your comforting words.
I also have a pistol for years, but as the law on guns has become more strict, I may only have the gun now without bullets.
And this new weapon law it was all in the media, so a great help for thieves anyway.

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Oh man! This can't be true! Arnaud, i am so sorry for you. Knowing well how much this hurts, don't need to tell. So many hours are gone, so much heart in your work.

These bad lot doesn't earn their thumb! I hope they get them quick and cut their thumbs away. They should eat all the glass they have broken! This makes me really angry!

I wish, everything will turn out good for you. Thank goodness you and your family are in good health!

Mario (sad, very sad)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Mario, it helps me a bit to write here about this what happened,
Your sympathy on this is very much appreciated.
Indeed, at least cut of their thumbs when they are catched.

arnaud

Veizman

Wow I'm sorry for your loss, its such a shame they took those beautiful titanium wedding rings.

mrthe

I feel much reason why there is past,i`m soi sorry for your shop and you, at least you have not had personal damages that in the end are but the important thing, here in Spain is several jewelers to the year assassinated by bands of these unpresentable ones, intention and I hope that they can do something

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am so very sorry that this has happened- such beautiful work lost- IDIOTS! But that you are putting a positive spin on the incident speaks volumes for the quality of YOU! and that they left for workroom alone!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud, it's just heartbreaking. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope your holiday season improves. :)

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Yoni, Mrthe, Catharine and Tira. Your sympathy will help top get over it. But I will have to think about a way to feel save again in my shop.
Yes Catharine, I think it is a creative way using the mess to make a new window.

Probably I will not have jewellery in my jewellery showcases. My main work is the workplace where I create jewellery on command anyway.
Perhaps I put just some photos and designs of my work in the showcases.

I never was scared, and I’m not scared yet, but I will have to find a way to feel comfortable save. And I don’t think the overall safety for people will improve in the future, because since we have a Europe without borders anymore, these crimes have become more regular.
The European authorities first should have make all European countries having the same living conditions and so on, before opening the borders for all European citizens.

But no, no one of the authorities ever asked me about that.

arnaud

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,
So sorry to hear this! Of course it is a bit late now but I suggest a video security system. It won't deter the break in but it can help find the suspects. I wrote an article a while back in the Engraver about this. Not sure what s available in Europe but in the US you can get a 4 camera system with a DVR and can be monitoed from the internet or even smart phone for less than $300.00 US. The brand I have is Q-See.
There are other brands available as well.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud - Sorry to hear of the break-in. Luckily, the loss was not severe and you still have your atelier fully functional.

Seems like the affects of the global recession are spreading. Crime has been increasing steadily around where I live as the recession continues.

"Smash and grab" crimes on "convenience" stores have become daily lately, where (6) happened in just one 24 hour period.

These are typical suburban towns where VERY few crimes would occur until recently.

The typical scenario is thieves steal a car, drive it through the front window/door, steal the ATM, whatever else of value is around, and drive away in just a couple of minutes!

Good Luck with getting back to normal.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Rex, sure a cam system could have helped perhaps, But most of the time these crimes only take three minutes, done by East European Gangs. They only stay short time in one country and then travel to another country to do the same.
The thieves don’t even care about the videos, as most of the time no one can recognise them.

And to use a camera system one needs permission as well, as there is the law about privacy.

I was thinking about something else that is not legal as well, but perhaps I will have to build one myself.
Something likes an infrared eye with a Pepper spray bomb with remote control.

If that is available in de US, perhaps one can send me one, as even Peppersprays are not allowed in Belgium.

arnaud

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,
Sorry about the robbery.
On a positive note the publicity might help business.
Years ago I went to the hobo nickel meeting in Orlando at a large coin show.
After the show, 3 carvers had their coins stolen, I was one of the 3. I got orders and inquiries and sold the most commissions and coins that year after the robbery. I got many steady customers from it.
The publicity helped many more than the losses and I hope it is the same for you.
Good Luck,
Keith

Jerry

Arnaud, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of so many one of a kind items. It is easy for me to say, but don't let the thieves break your spirit of creativity. So much hard work and pride has been put into each piece. Thank you for sharing this devasting sad story. Jerry Rice

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Arno,
I am so sorry about that!
We also had a robbery a year ago and know exactly how its feels. But do not worry very much about the material lost, the most important is that you and your are well.
I am sure you will overcome this bad feeling soon.
All the best,
Leonardo.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud,

So sorry for your loss. Loss of your time, skill and effort is far worse than simple loss of inventory. Hopefully karma will lead your thieves to a suitably bitter end soon. And hopefully those same karmatic forces will bring prosperity to you from all that newpaper exposure.

Strange... One would think, in a country with so many laws.. crime would be non-existant.

Best,

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
I'm so sorry!
It's happened to me long ago when I started jewelry business. Since then a good alarm system is on 24/7, the gun is lock-and-load. However I have no showroom, the business is only manufacturing and I'm keeping low profile as possible.
Thank God you are unharmed and your workshop is untouched.

Latest posts

Sponsors