Engraved jeweler's loupe w/stonesetting

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Chris and Alexandre did one side for engraving and stonesetting demonstrations at a show in Munich, and I lettered the other side at the Basel show. The loupe is sterling silver.

Chris and Alexandre used GraverMachs, and I used a GraverMach with Airtact.

~Sam

Attachments

• loupe_basel_1.jpg
    loupe_basel_1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 200
  • loupe_basel_2.jpg
    loupe_basel_2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 211

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's sweet, I was just thinking today of all the different canvases that one could use to put art on. Thanks for sharing. Dwayne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's to prove a true artist doesn't have to strain much to find a canvas upon which to paint a pretty thing.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Ken. No blackening of the letters. The cuts are pretty bright and it was photographed on the bench in less than ideal lighting.

Kerry Bogan

Very nice lettering Sam but with you that goes without saying. I actually enjoy lettering.
The engraving and stone setting is beautiful.
Kerry

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris and Alexandre you guys did a great job on this. The layout and setting looks so precise.

Sam The lettering looks beautiful. I've seen you lay out lettering on your video. I know it's the same old adage practice, practice, practice to be proficient at it. But what would you suggest as for exercises, possibly books that may help. For me if I want nice lettering I have to use a transfer.

Beautiful work guys
Mike

Sam

Staff member
Thanks Mike. If you want to learn lettering, the first step is to study the engraver's script alphabet and learn to draw all the letters perfectly. This might sound like a daunting task, but there are only about a half-dozen elements (graver cuts) used to create all the letters in the alphabet. There's a good chapter on lettering in Meek's book THE ART OF ENGRAVING. Also check the Bergling books on lettering. One of them has a great page showing the script alphabet with direction of cuts. Work on 2-3 letters a day and in a few days you'll have it down. I suggest that you forget trying to cut them until you can draw them if you REALLY want to become proficient in lettering.

Few computer fonts are 'graver friendly'. They might look great on the screen, but can be far from ideal when it comes to cutting.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Got it, Thanks
I usually use the transfer more for size, spacing and basic shape. I don't follow every detail of the font.

Last edited:

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, beautiful script, flat or 120 deg. used for this job? I've got some of the glensteel 120's and it still gets away from me once in a while but all in all I'm using it more.
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors