If you had to start over

Okrabbit

This is my first post on the Cafe.

I am an Art teacher and have been a hobby jeweler for 20 years. My degree is in metalsmithing. I am looking into getting a power engraver of some sort now as my hands are not what they used to be. I do 5-10 pieces a year and the numbers are thankfully going up. I have engraved before and own 3-4 engraving knives but use them mainly for wax carving and small cleanup and details on castings but I mainly use a Fordom rotery flex shaft. This past year went back to etching and have not been excited over the results in the details compared to what can be done by hand.

So I want to get a powered engraving setup. I am not going to buy a microscope right away as I want to make sure that it is going to be easier for me to do the work that I want and then I may purchase one.

My wife said "well if it will help your hands lets get you one" sooo....

I would like to get a vice and some kind of engraver.

What are the advantages of a large engraving block over a smaller one?

what is the best vice for the money?

Are the squeeze operated hand pieces easier to work than the foot controlled ones?

How many and what type of gravers are a good start?

Do you need any "extra" stuff to start engraving that no one talks about when you buy a set up?

Any help would be great,
Cameron Lewis
Oklahoma City

who has the best wife in the world

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
first: welcome to the forum. your needs will depend upon what you intend to do. a heavy magnablock really isn't all that heavy if one lines it's base with, say a slippery teflon sheet. a variety of materials can be used to give the ball varying levels of resistance to moving. and by purchasing a heavy one, you have the advantage of being able to work on larger , heavier, items. many of us have begun with homemade ballvise gadjets, from castor wheel arrangements to bowling balls. but for serious work, somewhere down the road a real one must be purchased. might as well be now. before this becomes a novel, i'll let some of the other members advise on other equipment of choice.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Okrabbit - welcome to the forum! :)

As monk said, there are many tools and it will depend on what you eventually want to do with those tools that will help to point you in the right direction. There are many threads about tools already on this forum if you search for specific topics.

Look around and find out your options and then maybe the best thing to do would be to try and find an engraver in your area that would have some tools to try. That way you get to see and use the tool and will have a better idea before you put out the money. Only you will know if the foot or hand operation is most comfortable for you. Same with the vise and other tools. Once you get a chance to use the tools your preferences will be more obvious based on the way you already work with your jewelry tools.

I see you are about a half day drive to Emporia, KS. That is where one of the tool manufactures is located (GRS). You may be able to make arrangements to stop in there and see the tools too. Good luck! :)

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
The best money that you can spend is a beginners class at GRS or one of the other engraving schools. There you will have all the equipment to try out and get a little familiar with. You will spend around around a grand for this class plus expenses but it will be the best investment you can make for your engraving future. Once you understand what the equipment can and will do for you then you can make a wise decision on what you want to buy.

The worst thing you can do is spend $3000+ dollars for equipment that you may or may not be happy with.

I went the H&C route when I first started and stuggled for a couple of years. I finally decided to take a class with good equiptment. After the class I knew I would be able to make the cost of the equipment pay for itself. I don't know that I would have been this far along if I would have stayed with the H&C. Maybe maybe not, but I know I have enjoyed engraving more since I got my equipment.

I also struggled with my hands hurting a good bit while I was doing H&C work. I think part of this was due to lack of sharpening knowledge. Since I have gotten my GRS equipment I have had very little trouble with my hands. I still do some H&C work and I do not have as much problems with my hands which I credit to my better understanding of how to sharpen gravers. A sharp graver will make either system work much better.

Good luck

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Good graver sharpening equipment and an understanding of gravers and their geometries are very important.
Power gravers and a gravers vise will do you little good without properly sharpened gravers.
There are several graver sharpening systems and tools that you should investigate that will help you.
They should be considered in your early purchases of equipment if you don't have them from your earlier engraving days.
Best of luck on your engraving journey.

mhgjewel

Elite Cafe Member
equiptment

the best way to know what equipment you need is to take a basic engraving class for a week at grs. you will have access to of the the best and all the tools out there. then you can decide if you need a microscope or an optivisior.

in addition you may spend months trying to figure out very basic skills even with the best tools, that you can learn in days with a class. months of frustration may burn you out of sticking with it.

spend the money on the class first then make a decision, the worst thing that can happen is you decide engraving is not for you, but at least you made that decision before spending $2000-$4000 in equipment

most of us pretty much know what you need but it is best for you to find out for yourself.
you dont want to feel like this :beat up: