No beginners and one pro penny carving???????????

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm amazed all the questions thrown out by beginners or people that seam so serious about engraving and not one attempt at a penny. I guess there really isn't any beginners very serious about it. Maybe it is a dieing art. Only one professional entrée I'm shocked. I was really looking forward seeing all the different ideas from the Pro's.
I throughly enjoyed engraving the one I did. It was a nice diversion from the daily grind.
Oh well Hat's off to you again Sam You tried.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Let the voting begin :) I have set up a thread for the advanced category where we had the most entries. Voting will take place between now and next Friday April 20th, 2007.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
penny carving contest

I'm amazed all the questions thrown out by beginners or people that seam so serious about engraving and not one attempt at a penny. I guess there really isn't any beginners very serious about it. Maybe it is a dieing art. Only one professional entrée I'm shocked. I was really looking forward seeing all the different ideas from the Pro's.
I throughly enjoyed engraving the one I did. It was a nice diversion from the daily grind.
Oh well Hat's off to you again Sam You tried.

the only reason you aint got one from me- i am still foolin around tryin to arrange and rearrange all the junk in my main engraving room to accomodate the new microscope. that, plus learnin how to work in a totally new way, yall will be seein something from me- good , bad, or ugly i'm gonna do it ! just need a bit of time.

CAR-VER

Contest

I'm new here so I hope you don't mind my input , but I think it might have been because you wanted a penny and not a nickle . BILLZACH worked with me and got me started , then my interest turned to scrimshaw , but I still like to do the nickels .I have sold several on E-Bay .The penny is harder for me to work and I think fewer ideals for the beginner . Just my 2cent's worth . PHILLIP

Dmitry Martinov

Elite Cafe Member
Mike Cirelli not anyone have a time to make something. For example I never did engraving on a coin, but I will it for sure. The only question of time. With time I think it will be more contests like this and more people will be there.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Mike,
I had the same problem with time. It was tax time and My sign business is swamped with orders and I have deadlines to meet. Next time I will do one if there is a next time.
Keith

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mike and all concerned. When the deadline date was set I knew there was a very slim chance I could get one done. I practiced on one when this was first mentioned, but figured I'd start for real when a date was set. With one weekend out of town and one sick, well that blew my chance. My fault for not starting from the first mention of it. See what happens when you put things off. Still a good idea. When a deadline is set maybe it ought to be months to acomadate us turtles. Mike I'll be in PA in a little over a week looking around at houses. Just checking the market. Anyway, I could possibly stop in to say hi if you are interested.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You all are so right when it comes to time. We don't seem to get enough of it. I don't get to engrave on a daily basis and sometimes look for an excuse to do something like this. I don't understand the beginners category though. My son and I was talking this morning about it, and he was saying as a beginner most are chopping away at practice plates and just about anything that doesn't move in the block. So why not do a penny and have some fun and possible advance their skills.
Maybe the Pro and Beginner category can be extended due to lack of entrees. It can't hurt.

Steve that would be great. Give me a call before you come so I can be sure not to miss you.
Mike

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
I joined up late and did not read about it untill 3 days were left, but would be willing to put together a contribution to future one. I don't think the date should be extended, but rather have another contest, maybe in a month or two. Maybe I will have some new equipment by then. I'm starting off with just un-assisted hand gravers and a ball vise.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What time frame would the members think was a "good" time frame for the next contest? I just took a stab in the dark when I set it up for 3 weeks or so out. How much lead time do those who wish to participate want? Also, it was mentioned that a nickels would be more interesting than pennies. Would more people have participated if it was a nickel contest?

As always, good ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
a am ashamed as i have completely forgotten:( .:( .i wanted to enter into the beginner but got swamped in work and did not have much time to play.but mostly i forgot as i make time for tings that is important.sorry guys and girls.i am a sucker for competition and have started to carve my coin that was an old south african one cent.i can only kick myself maybe i should go do that now(kick myself):mad:

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
What time frame would the members think was a "good" time frame for the next contest? I just took a stab in the dark when I set it up for 3 weeks or so out. How much lead time do those who wish to participate want? Also, it was mentioned that a nickels would be more interesting than pennies. Would more people have participated if it was a nickel contest?

As always, good ideas and suggestions will be appreciated.

Initially, I was intimidated at the idea of entering an engraving contest. I've been engraving for fifteen months. I looked upon engraving a penny as a CHALLENGE.
I'd suggest The Engraver Cafe hold an Annual Penny Engraving Challenge. Even hold different monthly, annual engraving challenges. With 30 day deadline notices posted. Voting could include, Best of Challenge, Most Improved, Most Artistic, Best in Catagory, etc.
The nickel has been suggested, what other inexpensive items could serve as engraving challenges?
I love a challenge, especially with the opportunity to learn and improve as an engraver.
Did you know the penny is no longer copper?
Make everyday a GOOD Day.
Stephen

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Tira,
The problem lies within trying to paticipate and keep up with regular work I think for many. I could be wrong, is anyone else short on time? My week is filled with engraving dies or sculpting and the weekend is the only time I have to carve coins, and we all know how weekends can get filled by all the other things happening in our separate lives. Just an opinion but what do you think of 3 months? It would fly by pretty fast. Certainly many on this forum lead busy lives and could use the extra time. Steve

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe get GRS to throw in a few tools, even a couple gravers or something. I think if a bone is thrown out more will participate.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Tira,

I am generally of the same opinion as Steve, a lot to do and too little time to do it in.... At the same time 3 months may be too long. Some of us have the onset of old-timer's and we can have important things like contest deadlines creep up or slip by without realizing it. Maybe somewhere in the middle -- 6-8 weeks??

Gary

Put off procrastination until tomorrow

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
I think a bi-monthly challenge is short enough it will stay in people's minds, and long enough to give a few weekends to work on it. Other challenges could be mundane items like washers, keys, or even a bottle cap.

Latest posts

Sponsors