Zippo with experimental design

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I did a little experimenting with design on a Zippo. 3 different backgrounds, minimum leaves, maximum "spaghettis". My goal was to make things look organized in the center and corners, random "background" everywhere else.

I know several things that I'd do differently next time, but what do you all think?

Wait with the harsh critique until it's been paid for, client lurks in this forum and you might scare him off :big grin:

Vilts

Attachments

• zippo_v7_engraved2.jpg
    zippo_v7_engraved2.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 365

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I LIKE it very much Viljo. The layout must have been very time consuming with all the crossovers. Your cutting looks clean as well.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it looks Damn Good Viljo. Tell your dad he better enjoy it. The only thing I MIGHT have done different, and that is a big might, is that the design coming up from the bottom, where the black background touches the line for the top half, i might have put the whole design low enough so that the top lines were not crossing the dividing line.

Of course I am not crazy about the backwards scroll in each corner, but I know you know you did it, and I know why you did it, to make each corner scroll symetrical and I might have done the same thing myself.

Bravo

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice work. Design is interesting with your combination of two distinct styles, possible three. Well executed work as well. Clean and crisp. Fred

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Vilts ... this is excellent. I know just what you mean about "experimental" ... many times I wonder if what I did looks good or if I am hallucinating.

I hope your client is lurking because I am going to plant the subliminal suggestion that he now needs a pocket knife and watch to round out a perfectly matched set of gentleman's accessories.:thumbs up:

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Viljo,

I love it! I can't figure out what makes the whole thing look so 3-dimensional, esp. the bottom. Really a deep feeling!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
such a shame that will(normally ) be carried in a persons' pocket, way out of sight ! a very beautiful design, with great execution.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all, you're being too kind. I think the buyer is now all buttered up :yes

Scott, you do have a beady eye on design things and all your remarks are spot on. Actually I've especially looked for these kinds of things in pro engravers works and I've seen quite a few instances of scrolls running backwards. I guess for the same reasons I had.

Chris, I think your subliminal message will work, but I've included hints of best engravers he has to choose from in my work... And the names don't start with "C".

Latest posts

Sponsors