The Art of Chinese Seal Engraving

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I was surprised how many artists carve these seals on the streets in China. They were literally everywhere I went. They'd have a little bench scattered with tools and made them right there. It was fascinating to watch.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A splendidly filmed piece, a bit heavy on government influence, and light on the actual technique, we only got to see straight line cuts with that fascinating wide 'flat' and blunt angled graver on stone .... I wanted to see more work being done on some of the elaborate designs, yet I am very grateful for the posting, thank you! As Sam says, there appears to be plenty seal engravers working!

best

Rod

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I never would have guessed that they engrave those seals with such a tool! Like Rod, I would have liked to see the carving of the figural tops of the seals.

It was interesting to learn that their seal engraving society is 100 years old. With the 30th anniversary of FEGA being celebrated in January, I can only hope that those yet to be born will carry our organization to the 100 year mark.

By the way, after reading Scott's biography of Sam, it looks like I got it all wrong when I wrote it for AE-21c:rolleyes:

Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors