Genovese scroll work

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I just spent some more time in Genoa, doing further research on the Staglieno cemetery. (some of you are familiar with the book I wrote last year on that magnificent place).

I spent a day walking around town photographing the architectural ornament, and took these photos of scrollwork and related designs. There are lots of unusual and nicely done little details to be found in these pix.

I think some of you will find these useful. If you use some of the designs in your work, please post photos for me to see.

Attachments

• scroll-acanthus.jpg
    scroll-acanthus.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 123
  • scroll-dolphins.jpg
    scroll-dolphins.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 127
  • scroll-flowers.jpg
    scroll-flowers.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 122
  • scroll-panel.jpg
    scroll-panel.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 116
  • scroll-griffins-cherubs.jpg
    scroll-griffins-cherubs.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 114

Gargoyle

Three more pix...

Hope you like them!

Attachments

• scroll-panels-3.jpg
    scroll-panels-3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 96
  • scroll-panels.jpg
    scroll-panels.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 95
  • scroll-urn.jpg
    scroll-urn.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 92

Gargoyle

A few more

And here are a few more interesting pieces. Hope this gives you some ideas and inspiration.

The options and variations are infinite...

Attachments

• scroll-cartouche.jpg
    scroll-cartouche.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 73
  • scroll-window.jpg
    scroll-window.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 74
  • scroll-grotesque-seahorse.jpg
    scroll-grotesque-seahorse.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 68
  • scroll-keystone-face.jpg
    scroll-keystone-face.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 70

Gargoyle

I love digital cameras- I can just walk along and keep snapping, I don't have to be cautious about wasting film. With film I rarely shot more than 36 exposures in a day, now I can do hundreds. It actually helps me see more, since my eyes are constantly scanning for interesting subjects.

I us a Canon G9, an exceptional little camera. High end features in a very portable point-and-shoot body.

Attachments

• scroll-lunette-1.jpg
    scroll-lunette-1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 54
  • scroll-lunette-2.jpg
    scroll-lunette-2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 62
  • scroll-liberty-style.jpg
    scroll-liberty-style.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 53

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Walter,

I could not agree more, the digital camera allows you to aquire a huge portfolio for later study.

By the way, I am poised to go for the Canon G12 camera, just out. It squeezes a lot of a big DSLR into a smaller package and is pocket size yet has the full big SLR sensor, heavier than a point and shoot, but much lighter than full DSLR, and pocketable.

Thank you for posting these delights. I am particularly interested in what catches your eye, as a master carver yourself. I am more of a generalist, yet always delighted to wander my way 'Scrolling through Europe' for inspiration. I posted my recent summer sculpture element shots on a handy picasa collection here...

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/

Keep inspiring us with your postings, especially your own work!

Rod

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Walter,

Thanks for the images. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one who looks at archetectural ornaments while touring. Not many American engravers use neoclassical design in their work. Paul Lantuch is probably foremost among those who do.

Roger

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I just got back from a tour of Northern Italy. These were in Ferrara. I'm sure the others were wondering why I was taking close-ups of Egg 'N Darts, if they even knew what they were! The 2000 year old Roman structures that are integrated into the various cities just blows me away.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thank you Walter and Robert. Wonderful examples of ornamental art. Stunning actually. I love this stuff and photograph like mad when I see it. Thanks for giving us some fresh pieces to study! / ~Sam
p.s. Do they still have that great weekend flea market in the park near the train station in Genoa?

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
This was the highlight of my trip. In Florence (Firenze), in the Basilica di Santa Croce, standing in the presence of Michelangelo and Galileo. Very inspiring. Still gives me GOOSEBUMPS.

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Walter,

I think over the past 6-7 years I've downloaded every photo on your website for study. There was, a few years ago, a thread of sculpture from cemeteries all over the world. I have hundreds of the most beautiful figurative statues and mausoleum sculpture from that resource alone.

I live within 5 minutes of the Pennsylvania State Capitol. It is a museum of architectural sculpture and unimaginable artwork. The dome is fashioned after St. Peter's Basilica and the staircase after the Paris Opera House.

Her are a few of the scrolls from there.

If anyone is ever in Philly, you'll easily load up your flash cards with the amazing stone carving all around City Hall.

Attachments

• DSC_9022.JPG
    DSC_9022.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02396.JPG
    DSC02396.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC02365.JPG
    DSC02365.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC02364.JPG
    DSC02364.JPG