Old Newbie introduction

Daniel Isdell

Greetings!

I have admired engraving for many years and about 10 years ago I decided to go for it and start learning how to engrave. I had been studying jewelry making as a hobby, and I had the great honor of getting to be the "weekend apprentice" of Garth Duncan. (http://www.duncan-house.com/ he has now relocated to the Isle of Skye in Scotland) But life had other plans for me. First my father-in-law was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and came to live with my wife and me. That meant five years of taking care of him and left no time for engraving or jewelry. Then as we were getting ready to move him to a home, my wife was hit hard by cancer. That was over 4 years ago. She very nearly died, but she is now recovering. I have been a caregiver for over 9 years now. But now we are moving to a new house and and I am going to persue my jewelry making/knifemaking/engraving interests. Over 10 years ago I bought a used engraver's block, a slightly used GRS Graver-mate, a GRS workholding system, a GRS power hone, and a surplus microscope. I joined this forum a couple days ago and now I am going to put my nose to the power hone and do this. :) I originally learned of this forum when one of my customers mentioned that he had seen my Celtic Knot Font mentioned here. ( http://www.clanbadge.com ) I want to thank all of you for the inspiration that I have seen on this forum. Wish me luck!

old newbie Dan Isdell

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, welcome is the word of the day here for all who choose to enter. much to learn here, at your own pace of course. the only dumb question is the one you are reluctant to ask. many of your questions may be answered already in the tips section or in 1 or more of the tutoriald. pour a coffee and start poking around.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:I wish you great luck, Dan :thumbs up::thumbs up:! If a care giving, helpful person like you doesn't deserve that, than nobody does! Kind regards, Paulie:beerchug:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Daniel,
Welcome to the world of engraving and may you enjoy your voyage of discovery.
I hope you will be blessed and rewarded for your years of care giving.
Let our community know where we can be of service.
Best.

Sponsors