Cast Iron engraving is tough!

MARLON

Great Web Site all!

I am a newbie, hobbyist engraver who has learned much from this site already. I have been practicing as of late on some cast iron tools I wouldn't miss down the road, and discovered the obvious (for you all) problems trying to get a chip from a cast material. My 120's, squares, flats & rounds dull quickly, dive into the material at times, and the surface finish is poor.

If anyone has any suggestions, they are appreciated!

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Some cast irons have a lot of carbide particles in the metal. Depends on the Iron, whether it's gray, or malleable iron. I think malleable would engrave nicely, but gray can be tough going and crumbly.

If it's a casting, then there is usually a hard rind that has to be chipped off before you get to machinable metal.

MARLON

The parts I am practicing on are "combination square heads".and are gray CI. The skin is pretty clean as these are not sand castings, but "permanent mold" castings. You are right about the "crumbly" part too.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cast iron is like fleas on a beagle. yaint never shure what yer gittin into. some of this stuff is sweet to work. and some is down right disgusting. many different grades and alloys. personally i wouldn't bother with it , unless you have to do it for a customer, there are way better metals to work on for the sake of gaining practice. there's always an abundance of copper, brass, and steel to be had to work on. for the sake of practice, there's tons of "found objects" in the junk yard or at flea markets upon which to inflict your artistic vengeance. i once got the base of an old, junked brass floor lamp and fiddeled with that for days on end.
lots of curved surface there-was good practice- a beast to hold though. good luck

Sponsors