Will I be in the new book of American Engravers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
If this forum had a "like" button like facebook, I would "like" Dave's comment!!! :) Your famous to me Dave!

Tim, I don't know you but obviously your work is magnificent!!!!

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
I for one can not wait until its in my hands. About time we finally got around to comparing American engravers to the best outside our country, and that takes alot of talent and skill to get accepted.. Its an honor , that these best of the best , were recognized in Rogers new book .. We still have alot of up-coming young folks who should be in the next one....

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Herman Knives, I think your work is absolutely stunning. Now make a dvd and share your craft with the engraving world and quit whining and making excuses why you can't. Oh yeah, actors go to Hollywood to work, and not the other way around, meaning you can probably shoot the video anywhere you can bring your tools. Shoot, you have people teaching engraving over the internet, and I am sure an outfit like GRS would love to help you accomplish this.

Check this outfit out: http://www.centercross.com/cciv/index.htm

They make awesome instructional dvd's for the knife world, and it's what they do. Call them up. I'll be the first to buy a dvd from you. Make it happen for crying out loud.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, I had this exact discussion with my father at the weekend..spooky! He said exactly the same thing, that he didn't feel recognised for all the work he'd done over the years. Sure, other engravers know of him, and a few shooters/gun collectors but the world at large knows nothing of his work. I think I said it before on one of Arnaud's threads but I think the problem engravers have is that because we work on small, unique items it is rare that our stuff gets seen by anyone apart from the collector (and perhaps a few of their friends). It is a great shame but until the art world takes our art seriously, to some extent, we'll always be the undiscovered Cinderella; a thing of beauty that is hidden away from the rest of world.

I think your coloured engraving is gorgeous and I'd love to know your secret of how you do it. Unfortunately, if your knives go straight to the collector they won't give you the wider recognition you deserve. I don't have any answers apart from more self publicity and getting your stuff shown in a commercial art gallery in a large city. Galleries take a huge cut of any sales though, but it might be worth it if it gives you a wider audience for your work.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well it just seems rather unfair to me, sorry! I have been engraving my own and other makers knives for 35 years and a little recognition would be nice.

I had noticed your incredible color engraving some years back and have admired seeing it in various publications and at times on the forums.

I too was at Scott's Engrave In this year, and was excited to see that you were there. I found it VERY disappointing that when I approached you to chat about your knives/engraving, you reacted as if I was going to mug you, and walked away? :shock: Just sayin'

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is a special 15% discount for FEGA members offered by Blue Book Publications until December 1st. There is an ad in issue #88 Engraver which is hitting the mailboxes of many members right now.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tim: Marty Rabeno has a super nice book on his work that he publishes himself. If you have photos and a computer you can make it, upload it to the printer, and bingo...you have a book. Now it's not going to be printed and bound like Roger's book, but it can still be a very nice book which you can sell, wholesale to companies, etc. The process of making the book on your computer is automated using templates, etc. It's very easy.

You could do a photographic step-by-step book on your colored engraving and probably sell the fire out of them. There are endless options if you choose to explore the possibilities. Personally, I think you should at least consider a colored engraving tutorial book or booklet. Small runs make it very affordable. In fact you can order just one if you like. / ~Sam

Herman Knives

Peter E, sorry if I seemed rude to you at the engrave in as I am always ready to talk knives and engraving. That was probably the day my Crohn's disease acted up and I was feeling bad and had my roommate take me back to the hotel that afternoon. I do apologize for any rudeness, it was not meant. Feel free to call me anytime and I will talk your ear off lol:)

Marcus, coming from you that is a great compliment and I thank you much. I have loved your fathers work for decades and have been inspired by him.

Sam I would love to do a book on my color engraving and will look into all possibilities. Again, with some financial backing I could produce a professionally done video from the guy at the engrave in that interviewed me and shot pics of the tiger engraving I had there.

Eastslope, I am not whining I just cant afford to have a professional well done video made, simple as that!

Thank you all for the kind words about my work and will now share it with the world. I would love to see what some of the amazing engravers out there would do with it.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am sure that collectively we could fund a video and a book. Tim find out how much money will be needed and lets work towards raising the money to get this accomplished.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Tim, I think your work is beautiful and I love it!
Look... you are famous also! I am reading you from Spain!

Now I would like to tell you something more. Nobody will be knocking your door to take you to the starts. You must to do the job for yourself.
Also, this is not the first time that I read you complaining about the lack of recognition... Man, this happen to almost everybody all the time. Come on! Write your book!

I wish you the best of luck!
Leonardo.

Herman Knives

Haraga, I will contact the videographer soon and get a price estimate on him coming here and making the video and also how many he will provide and the cost of those. I would love to do this project.

Here is a piece I did just oiled like the Italians do on their bulino work. Grey rhino grey skies, didn't need color. It's just under 1 inch square.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
with some financial backing I could produce a professionally done video from the guy at the engrave in that interviewed me and shot pics of the tiger engraving I had there.
You don't need financial backing. It's as simple as going to your local college and finding a student who is studying cinematography. Most would jump at the chance to produce a video and add it to their beginning portfolio of work. It enhances their resume and chance to find a future job. Technical videos are not all that complex to produce as opposed to a documentary or feature film.

Likewise, talk to the professor at said college for input. He might assign it as an independent study or class project.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think anyone who knows of c. roger bleiles' passion for the history of this art, as well as the promotion of that artform would forget the word "politics". when the book comes out, let the photos speak for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsors