Help, please: Transfer?

If I have a handgun for example, who has a bluing surface.
How do I do to transfer a pattern from a ink-writer, without grinding the surface?
Is it somebody who know what kind of chemical I have to use before the transfer, so that the pattern is easy to see?

With Regards
Michael Karlsson

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Brownell's Blue remover is great.
Also can use phosphoric acid tile lneaner from Home Depot or Lowe's.
Actualy any acid will remove the blue but some are dangerous.
Brownell's or the phosphoric are pretty benign.
After removing the blue wash te parts in warm water and baking soda.
Go over it with a pink pearl eraser to polish it a bit.
Hope this helps, best.

Up's, I just noticed you are in Sweden and probably don't have the sources I mentioned.
Any tile shop or decent hardware should have the phosphoric acid tile cleaner.

Last edited:
I don´t want to remove the blue , I want to place the pattern on the piece with the blue intact =)

With Regards
Michael Karlsson

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael,

From your question, I believe you are asking how to do a layout on a blued metal surface not how to remove the blueing. If I understand your question correctly the following might be of help.

* First do not grind the surface of a gun. That will ruin it.

* Do not try to engrave any gun until you are experienced at engraving other less valuable items. You say in your profile that you are learning engraving. Are you a beginner or have you been learning for a long time. I have been learning for over 30 years.

* Make an engraver's white solution by mixing White Out with laquer thinner and Damar varnish. You will have to experiment with the proportions but you want your white solution to be very thin. Paint this solution on the metql with a small brush or a pipe cleaner. With this solution you can draw on it with a pencil, make a pencil transfer, or rub down a transfer from a transparency.

* Another way to make the solution is to mix Rustoleum flat white paint with acetone. This works well but if you let the solution set for days it will congeal.

Now to the issue of cutting through the blueing on a gun. This has been addressed here many times. Most engravers will strongly discourage this practice for the following reasons:

* When cutting through the blue there is no room for error. One slip or fly out and you have a scratch through the blue that can not be properly corrected. Only an experienced engraver with excellent tool control should cut through the blue.

* When you engrave steel there is a burr cast up that must be sanded down or the surface of the gun will feel like a file. If you cut through the blue you can not remove the burr without damaging the blue. In my experience, the way to cut without a burr is to use a Lindsay parallel heel on your graver.

* Usually the best way to engrave a blued gun is to remove the blue as John described then polish the surface then have a gunsmith reblue it.

* I have engraved a few guns through the blue to get the contrast of the silver looking cuts against the blue background but in general it is considered a low form of decoration.

* Some engravers will tell you that if you cut through the blue the cuts will rust in time. If it is a modern gun the cuts will not rust any quicker than the blued part. I have a Smith & Wesson revolver that I cut through the blue more than 20 years ago and carried as a police officer for many years. The cuts are not rusted. I have another small S&W pocket pistol that has a blackened aluminum frame that I cut through the black many years ago. I carry it in a pocket holster almost every day and it still looks good.

Michael, If you will tell the members of this forum more about your skill level and more about your intended engraving project we can better help you achieve success.

Cheers,

Roger

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply , Roger.

Yes I meant cutting through the blue without removing it.

I find your tips very helpful , and when I´m thinking about it , it´s maybe the best to remove the blueing and redo it afterwards.

I have been learning engraving for between 3 and a half or 4 years now , and Im looking for new challenges.

With regards :)
Michael Karlsson

Sponsors