stainless signet ring

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Does anyone know where to get a stainless signet ring?
I have seen some around but don't know where to order one.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Beware. 99% of stainless steel jewelry items I've tested have been so brutally hard as to make them impractical for hand engraving. I hope these rings are an exception.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah What Sam said. I bought a few different stainless rings off ebay and they weren't engraveable at all.

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Martin for the link
And thanks Sam and Keith for the warnigs!
The lady would prefer silver but the engravings would not stay good as long as in stainless. So I might order one and see what happens or I would have to make one from scratch.

Thanks for the advice,

Daniel.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Daniel,

If you/she want the durability of the stainless, and she likes the look of silver - and I believe you are a jeweler? - then why not simply solder on a 416 stainless top... or cut the design into stainless and then inlay or bezel set it?

Best of both worlds, or least a workable compromise.

Brian

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks again guys,
The ring has to be engraved all around and inside too so putting a stainless top on silver won't do the trick. I did do that a few years ago.

She wants something like this.

I quess I will have to make it from scratch if the 30$ ring proves to hard and the anealing trick won't work.
:tiphat:

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Daniel,if you have no furnace,heat to critical temp. in forge,and anneal in hot ashes,vermiculite,or leave in the forge over night and let the fire die down on its own,then you will be good.It will be as soft as needed.God Bless,mike

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Is that true? If so I should try to put some rings strategically in the wood stove. It takes a long time to cool down.

What a great suggestion Mike!

Do you think this would work even with 316 stainless?

Last edited:

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Andros,its true! But,you need to be able to reach critical temperature and hld it there for a minute,or so.Then it needs the SLOW cool.This is for martensitic stainless(magnetic).I dont think a wood stove will get that hot without a blower.Give it a try.Might not fully anneal,but might be just enough.Let us know! God Bless,mike

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
I'll keep the info for when I have something to test it on... Perhaps you're right about the wood stove... But ours does seem really hot in there when it gets going... Can barely handle standing two feet away when I have to load more wood.

Daniel...Greetings my friend... Where did you get those first two stainless rings you engraved (the ones in your photo album)?

Sponsors