Antibiotic conflict

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
I just got home from a three day stay in the Hospital.

To all you Old Farts like me that have High Blood Pressure (as I do) and use Coumindin (Blood Thinner).

Be aware of taking Antibiotics that may conflict with the Coumindin.

After taking a Antibiotic prescription for a few days I started Bleeding.

As you know you must keep your Coumindin level between 2 and 3, Never more than 3.

After stopping the Coumindin and checking my level, the first day it was 6.3.

The next day it was 13.3 (this is stroke time or worse).

After a very painful stint in the Emergency Room and a Injection of Vitamin K and 2 units of Blood Plasma, things have started to get back to normal.

I wanted you old guys to be aware of this (Antibiotic conflict), It is not a lot of fun.

Kenneth Crutcher

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
glad as all gitout you're ok ! but the boneheads that prescribed the antibiotic didn't do their job. they should have checked the list of meds you were on before prescribing ! in doing this , they would have (should have ) discovered a drug interaction problem. that's s.o.p. even for a veterinarian ! this should also warn all youse folks to never just "call" your doc, and ask for any med prescription over the phone. many busy physicians will do this, but the practice can prove to have dire consequences. always inconvenient, but best to go see the doc. if your doc's too busy, most areas have "urgent care" clinics that can handle walk-ins quite quickly.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Kenn Glad you caught the problem in time. I had a meld reaction from too much Ci pro its an antibiotic I use when my COPD acts up. I take it along with another bugger Predneson which gives me the shakes and severe mood changes. So far its the only alternative to hospitalization with pneumonia. I got two doctors working on the problem and hope they come up with a better solution. Ahh Life is Good at 71.
Jim Sackett

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That sounds TERRIBLE Ken. Glad you are able to talk about it in the past and you are on the mend.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For all you folks who are taking or will take Coumadin (Warfarin). When you see that a person died of "complications" this drug is often the problem. If you go in for surgery, they have to wean you off of it and then give you clotting agents in order to perform the surgery. Timing it is a crap shoot. If you have a heart attack that requires immediate surgery, you can guess the consequences.

My stepdad fell out of bed and broke his hip. They went thru the weaning procedure and performed the requisite surgery and he stroked out on the table and died. As for miracle drugs keeping you alive, if you stay skinny, eat properly, and get plenty of exercise, the benefits will outweigh the drugs.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As for miracle drugs keeping you alive, if you stay skinny, eat properly, and get plenty of exercise, the benefits will outweigh the drugs.

:thumbs up: I fully support THAT philosophy. Obesity leads to ALL kinds of health issues, and much of it is due to eating all the processed foods that are SO convenient and taste so good!

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
My thanks to everyone that has responded, I do appreciate it.

Jim

Even better at 74 pushing 75

Tim

The drug I took was Fluconazole, which is not a bad drug, I just should have adjusted my Coumindin intake and monitored my levels closely (Big dummy me kept up my normal regimen).

Please understand I am not saying not to take prescribed Antibiotics.

My mistake was not advising my Cardiologist (Coumindin Doctor so the amount I take could be adjusted and levels closely monitored).

In my ignorance I did not know of the possible conflict.

You are lucky when you get a warning like this, live through it and learn something by it.

Now my only problem is, I feel like someone has beaten me with a baseball bat, every muscle and every joint is extremely sore.

Thanks Again everybody.

Ken

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
imho, most modern pharmaceuticals, except those for immediate emergency use, are probably worse for you long-term than the disease you are taking them to control. most all the new meds include death as a side effect. now- how cool is that ?

Latest posts

Sponsors