What a weekend

bcarter

I have been hanging around this website for some time now, reading all the hints, critiques, suggestions and kudos from all of my fellow engravers. I thank all of you for the indirect help. This post is actually to say a HUGE thank you to Jim Brandvik, the original horse shoe engraver.

I e-mailed Jim last year after reading about his horse shoe engraving on this site and asked him some questions, not really thinking I would get a straight forward answer since this was his idea. My husband is an equine veterinarian working exclusively on lame horses and I thought this would be a great gift for him. I was so surprised that later that same day Jim e-mailed me back, answering my questions. One thing lead to another (with alot of questions on my part and extreme patience on his) and not only did he answer all my questions but offered to let me come for a visit. At that time I was still so new to engraving I thought I would be better off to do some engraving, knowing I would have some problems and would have a better idea of what questions to ask.

A year went by and I again contacted him. The invite still was there and I was hoping to spend a couple of hours with him, knowing he was busy.
He and his wonderful wife Laurie offered to let me stay in their guest room for the night so we could have some good engraving time and not be hurried. When I got there Jim had cameras hooked up to the microscope so I could watch him and of course he could watch me as we engraved. He also helped me with design elements and how to use the computer to help, not only with design but the big problem of taking good pictures of one's work. Of course we discussed graver geometry and he help me sharpen a graver blank. Even though I thought the heels on my gravers were small, they weren't small enough.

Both Jim and his wife are the kind of people you become friends with immediately. The food was awesome, the company great, the scenery wonderful.

Jim mentioned that someday he would like to maybe do some more teaching (he is a great teacher) and he and Laurie are wanting to run a bed and breakfast (count me in). It is great when people go out of their way to help the newbies.

Jim, thank you for being so patient with me and helping me with some of my problems, now it is back to practicing, practicing.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Jim is a great guy!:) I met him at Scott Pilkingtons Engrave-in this year. Super nice guy and very tolerant of Newbies and our questions.:thumbs up:
Jim, if you don't remember me. I'm the guy who didn't believe that the clydsdale shoe you showed me really went on a horse. :big grin:
That thing was HUGE!

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Brandvik? Brandvik? Isn't that the guy who shouted "Boo" when I won Mike Dubber's door prize?

Oh, yeah; he be the man. Hi Jim! Did Jerry send you a copy of the group photo? No? Me neither. We need to bother him.

Mike Fennell

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Alice, thanks for the kind words. It was great having you with us out at the ranch. There’s not much I’d rather do than talk about engraving non-stop with other engravers and it’s something I don’t get to do often enough. Plus Laurie always loves to play hostess. You are welcome back anytime. Next time, be sure to bring Kent.
Also thanks for care package. It was unexpected and appreciated. (I especially liked the egg carton!)

After little more than a year, Alice is already doing a fine job with her engraving. I hope the few tips I was able to offer will help her to continue her rapid advancement. We had a great time talking about all-things-engraving. Plus, having a visiting engraver in my studio forced me to finally straighten up the place a bit.​

The welcome sign is always out for anyone else who ever cares to come out for the weekend. We have a little apartment next to the studio for guests so it is really no trouble at all.

Michael - Of course I remember you from the Engrave In. You were the guy who finally relieved me from shovel duty. (Scott Pilkington is a real task-master, huh?)

Hi Mike - Yes, I got my group photo. I guess you didn't pay your membership dues! (You have to donate lots of cold beers to Jerry's cause in order to get any respect.)

Best,

Latest posts

Sponsors