Help, please: Working fulltime as an engraver

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
"It's not the things we did that we regret, it's the things we didn't do"
My accountant told me when I started my business if after 3 years you are not happy with the income to change careers. I think that is still good advice even though 25 years later I am still not happy with the money but love the work.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ive been a custom jeweler for over 35 years and im still looking for that something no one else can do.

I did the same all this years, but searching for that pot full of gold at the end of the rainbow gives you a better chance I think. :big grin:

But developing skills that not so many people have makes that I was never unemployed and gives me the chance to start my own business then.

Congratulations

Good fortune for you with this job opportunity. You alone have the answer for the question you ask. We must each weigh our responsibilities and the risk level we are comfortable accepting. Certainly at times pushing metal can be incredibly boring. But if you find joy in the creation of the line and can marvel at the build up of tone you are creating, I found the job can be a game in itself that is entertaining. It is your skill vs cold metal. Every day then begins a new day. Working on my own in this way I found to be a most pleasant way to pass the time. Certainly dead lines and other pressures would create a more challenging environment. I wish you the best of luck.:tiphat:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Working as a full time engraver, I can attest to "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly"..
Luck has absolutely NOTHING to do with my success and I've never worked harder in my life until I started to work for me.
It is "The Road Less Traveled" but it has made all the difference.

Thank you all for your responses! I am glad to see that you share my opinion on what the old engraver told me.
You have helped me get over the initial fear the engraver caused me. I am forever thankful of that. :)

I will give this a major try, and I hope from the bottom of my heart that I succeed. :)

I am glad I started to engrave now, and not 40 years ago... Because now I can consult you, my mentors, and not just a single mentor... Hehe.

Thanks again for all the fantastic feedback. :)

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Steiner,
My feeling is that your insecurity comes form uncertainty whether or not you will be able to pay the rent from the engraving income.
It appears that the other fellow jewelers assured you of providing work for you. I am not sure what the rents there are like but it can't be that bad. I would say give it a go. As they say: nothing ventured - nothing gained! If nothing else, this will be an interesting experience for you. That is how wisdom is acquired.
I wish you good luck and success.
Best,
Boris

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steiner, I feel compelled to offer some further advice:
Engraving is a nice skill and a great hobby. For those who venture into entrepreneurship, engraving is also a business and must be treated as such.
The skills of a successful, professional engraver go way beyond the metal chips on the workbench.
Before I went into engraving "full time" I also made the business of engraving a major focus.
It became my prey and I pursued it with all of the skill and passion of the seasoned hunter. I came up with a business plan and did everything I could to punch holes into it. I needed to know what works and what doesn't.
I became a FEGA Certified Master engraver in due time, but just as importantly, I became a master at marketing "ME"....and when opportunity knocked at my door, I was more than ready to deliver.

Failures are just indications of things that don't work, so treat them as lessons rather than failures.

Success is usually the step past the point where most people just give up.
After more than 14,000 experiments Thomas Edison said," I knew I would invent the light bulb because I ran out of ways to fail."
Success comes to those who are ready for it.

pkasnes

Hi Steinar.

A fellow Oslo jeweler here.

I have read this post with interest, and as you are new to engrave with air-assisted tools, I welcome you to come over to try some of my equipment.

I have a set-up with microscope, different sharpening systems and I can give you some hints on transfer.

I belive you visited us in our workshop for a week some years ago. At Thunes workshop.

You can call me at 42 663 429 (dial backwards).

Hi Steinar.

A fellow Oslo jeweler here.

I have read this post with interest, and as you are new to engrave with air-assisted tools, I welcome you to come over to try some of my equipment.

I have a set-up with microscope, different sharpening systems and I can give you some hints on transfer.

I belive you visited us in our workshop for a week some years ago. At Thunes workshop.

You can call me at 42 663 429 (dial backwards).

Wow, thats certainly cool!

I am amazed that you remember me from that week! You engrave for Thune?

I'll be sure to give you a call later this week! :big grin:

pkasnes

I do some engraving, but most of the engraving from the stores goes to engravers down town.

Please call, and we can find time for a visit.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steiner, go for it! You will never hit the mark if you don't pull the trigger. Usually those that work hard and keep in good spirits end up successful in whatever career they choose. Never listen to negative people because it's catching and can really drag you down. Good luck and please let us know how it goes with you.

Latest posts

Sponsors