Practice plate for ring.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
This is a 2" x 2" copper plate. Since I'll be cutting on sterling silver I fegured this would be close to hardness. I cut this with a 120 square. Had trouble with the hairlines so tryed to fix em with my 90. I think I'll use the 90 on the ring hairlines.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Jim Sackett

10-26-2010 08;24;36PM.JPG

10-26-2010 08;27;02PM.JPG

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the 120 gives me fits. way too little practice on my part. i'd tell you to practice more, but then you'd tell me to follow my own advice ! nah, i'll go with the 116 or the flats.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
The 120 is a great point but it does take practice. You can get nice wide flare cuts with it and nice thin lines but it takes a lot of control to be able to do this. Jim I think the design flows well and if you cut it in practice a few more times with the 120 it will look fine.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
The 120 will work with practice. Or cut it all with a 90 and go over the areas you want bolder with the 120. Everyone has opinions on gravers and that is why they make them all. I am not a fan of the 120 except for flair cuts but others do everything with them.
Whatever works best for you!

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not a fan of the 120 except for flair cuts but others do everything with them.

What angle do you prefer then Rex ??
I often read here that many engravers do most of their work with an 120.
But I am in for other suggestions.
When I did only handpushing (not a lot) I alway's used a 90, when I came in kontakt with powergravers I turned to 120.
But I am still a bit doubtful what's best.
I know, I just should try both and find out wich one would work best for me.
Willem

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim

One piece of advice from me - grab some copper pipe about the right size and practice on 'rings' cut from it. If you think the 120 is giving you fits working on a flat plate, just wait until you get to something round! :eek:

If you want a thin ring I find it best to use a saw to cut off the piece but once you get to 4 - 5mm wide I'm getting pretty good at using a tubing cutter, as long as I go slow and careful.

I'm accumulating all of my CWP (Copper Water Pipe) rings and when I have enough I'll make a windchime.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem,
Again its personal preference. I have used 90s for years and got real used to them but there were times I wanted a bit more flair. The 120 worked for that but I just don't like doing long straight borders with one. Also a 120 is much stronger for gun engraving but again was a bit too much for things. I ended up settling on a 105. It gives me a stronger point but I can cut a straight border easy. It also gives me a bit more flair when I need it. Frankly if I practiced enough with the 120 I'm sure it would be fine as well but I just found the 105 was the ticket for my needs. I'm not so sure if I was doing a lot more jewelry work I would give the 120 a better trial. I just don't need it for the gun work as much.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Wind chimes? We've had 30 to 50 mile an hour winds for the last 2 days here. Our chimes probably blew away. I can't hear em.

I forgot to mention I am hand pushing this scroll work. On copper or sterling it cuts like a breeze. Little easier to control.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey, at least you're getting all the weather guys excited - not often they get a snow-filled hurricane in the middle of the country to talk about.

I figure wind chimes just because I can't really think of anything else to do with 'em.

Latest posts

Sponsors