How I create hobo nickels

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
This is how I begin this style of hobos. I flaten the Indian. Sometimes I hitting the edges with a laser welder to smooth the edges.

I like to cover the nickel with black sharpie and use a sharp tool to draw on the design. If you mess up its easy to paint the area in with sharpie and draw it agian.

I like to lightly (with a square graver) outline the drawing. Then with a modified flat graver I dig out the field. Carefully keeping it as flat as possible. I use a flat graver, but I have slightly rounded the corners up so I dont get any hard lines cut into the field.

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
I like to clean the field up first. Using the flat graver I cut it as smooth as possible. Then i cut a small strip of 3M 400grit wet dry paper and work the field by pushing the sand paper with a chopstick.

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
I did all my detail work with a square graver. Thats usually the case.

The final tone is a mixture. I rub in a small amount of Sams transfer wax. Then paint the coin with a sharpie and rub that off with my thtumb. Last I paint the coin with a gun blue pen, let it dry for a few minutes and rub off that till I get the desired effect.

Thanks for looking. I have learned a ton from this forum. I just wanted to give back a little. By the way. Im no expert so take what you like ignore the rest.

Latest posts

Sponsors