Critique Request Scrollwork

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Im preparing to engrave my first knife. Id like to gather any helpful hints on my scroll design. This is as complicated a design as i have ever done. I know some of you guys are really good a picking out the errors. Thats what im Looking for here.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

What I noticed first is that the scroll-leaves on the left side of the oval looks too heavy. I would repeat the right side
leaf [ funnel looking ] on the left side. That should give a better balance of scroll to background.

:beerchug:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Johnny

You've definatley got the right idea and the design has some nice flowing elements. Overall it is quite pleasing and with a little tinkering will look a lot better.

I've given you a few things to think about in the attched drawings.

Be careful cutting this design. It is a fragile and thin looking design (which is fine) so when you cut it be very careful that you don't make it too thin in areas. Cut to the outside of your lines, especially in those delicate areas.

Keep it up....you're doing well and have some nice things happening there.

Cheers
Andrew

PS. These are just my own thoughts on it and the way I look at things. Listen carefully to what others have to say as they may think differently.

Attachments

• Johnny-S.jpg
    Johnny-S.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 504

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew sort of drew this, but I don't see that he said it. You should bring your main body scroll backbones out to the borders, to fill the space in evenly. This makes your desgign outline easier to cut, makes your background eaiser to remove and I think makes a much more attractive design.

Also, this scroll is overly complicated to cut at your skill level. Way too many leaves crossing in and over the backbones. I think you would be much better served to draw your scrolls with stand alone backbone, (read NO crossovers) and then engrave it that way. You will learn to draw scrolls the way the tool wants to cut them which is an important part of your design education.

BUt , and I should have said this earlier, the design itslef overall is not bad at all.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Johnny,
Only thing I will add to what has been said is to be a little careful with your shading.
Most of your shading flows off the edge of the already slender leaves.
If this is not done with great care it can make the outside edge of the leaves blend right in to the background texture and loose the strong flow line of the scroll.
I'm sure you will do fine, let's see it when you are done.
PS> Love your icon. Is that your daughter? Shame she doesn't like you. :)

Best regards.

Last edited:

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks. Its helps to see my drawings from a new perspective. I will be redrawing.
1) strech main scrolls to the edges
2) dont get to heavy with leaves in one area.
3) beware of getting to delicate.
4) beware of shading delicate designs to the edge, and losing definition.

chisels1

Johnny, Overall I think you have a nice design. The leaf work coming off he oval on the left side could be opened up, maybe more like the right side pattern. Now this would make a nice sculpted pattern with the background stippled. I know on the project you probably are going to finely shade those leaves, so maybe get the spine of each scroll out to the borders more. I think you have a good balance with open space except for my earlier comment of the leaf work. I really think a nice heavy sculpted rendition of this design on a practice plate would be awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Sponsors