John Barraclough's Drill Press Vise Stand

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Scope/drill press base.

Gonna try to attach a couple of photographs of my set-up.
John B.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,204
  • IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,087

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Steece and Tall Gary.
Thanks for your questions and interest.
To fix the scope stand column to the drill press column I took a piece of steel about the same diameter as the outside of the DP column and roughly 4 inches long.
Turn down about 3 1/2 inches of it to be a slide fit in the inside of the DP column.
This leaves a flange about 1/2 inch thick which rests on the top of the DP column.
Center drill it slightly oversize for a 5 inch long bolt with threads to fit the scope column post.
Attach the scope stand to the adapter using the 5 inch bolt.
Now drill and tap the DP column in three places around the diameter about an inch below the top for some cap screws, I used 1/4 inch but it doesn't matter.
Slide the adapter into the drill press column with the scope column attached and tighten the set screws.
Attach the rest of your scope mount and scope and you're good to go.
This adapter could be made of hardwood if you can't get your hands on steel.
It could be made of two pieces, a body and flange, if a lathe is not available, out of wood, alum. or steel.
I cut the top off of my drill press column to suit my need to mount the scope base column to it.
Mine is 37 inches high to the top of the adapter flange where the stand column attaches.
But this could vary slightly by your personal size.
I'm about 5/7 and Andrew Biggs is about 6/1 and it adjusts to fit us both very well.
The drill press table was replaced with a 1/2 inch thick aluminium plate about 6 inches wide by 20 inches long.
This is covered by a Formica top 3/4 inch thick by 10 1/2 inches wide including the side rails which are 2 1/2 inches deep. The top is screwed to the alum. plate from below.
My turntable mounts to this and overhangs the sides. It overhangs the end by several inches, depending on your turntable diameter.
With the vise centered on the turntable I have about 20-21 inches to the drill press column.
This is enough to swing most long things including many rifle barrels.
I have two 25 pound bags of lead shot added to the drill press base and have no vibration in the scope.
Hope this answers your questions or PM me if you need more.
John B.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
More drillpress/scope pictures.

Here a some more picture of the details Tall Gary and Steece asked about.
There is one of the full length outfit, the top of the drillpress column, the column adapter and the method of adding an extra little table.
The extra table is a pre-made round white plastic covered top from Home Depot with a small block of high density polyscrewed to it and drilled to fit. A thumb sets it where you want it.
I use it for extra tools or lights or to hold my gooseneck microscope camera.
Hope this helps. John B.

Attachments

• Microscope drillpress stand.jpg
    Microscope drillpress stand.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 806
  • Drillpress scope adapter.jpg
    Drillpress scope adapter.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 799
  • Drillpress top.jpg
    Drillpress top.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 728
  • Scope auxillary table.jpg