Visit to a Japanese Engraving School

Bill Tokyo

Thanks to Sam, I got an introduction to Mr. Hijikata, a Japanese engraver, and went over to see him yesterday.

Mr. Hiijikata engraves in Japan's traditional hammer and chisel style, and tecahers engraving and stone setting. When I say "hammer and chisel" I'll bet you are all thinking in terms of our European style planishing hammer and hammer driven graver tyle of work, which is now being largely displaced by pneumatic powered gravers.

Well, you couldn't be more wrong. Japanese hammer & chisel work developed independently of European style, and is completely different. to start with, the chisel, which is only about 6 cm long (that's three inches for all you metrically challeneged types out there) is grasped vertically in the left hand using three fingers, and driver by a hammer weighing only around 15 grams that is not "held" in the right hand, but rather rests on the ball of the palm.

But the greatest difference is in the form of the graver ("tanagne" in Japanese) which unlike European gravers , which have a slight heel or even no heel depending on the type of graver, is all heel, and no point at all. The heel of the gravers (the heel is variously shaped, depending on the graver) is about four to five times as long as the "point" which is never pointed, but flat and raked back. Because of the angle and length of the heel, the tnagane can be held very comfortably anywhere from 15% ro almost 90% to the work, and will cut with ease. In fact, as a rank beginner, I found it almost impossible to make the tagane jump out of the practice plate and skip. Making it do curves and so on is another matter, but this comes with loosening up and getting accustomed to holding the tool.

The tagane itself is made out of anything ranging from regular low carbon steel up through HSS and tungsten carbide, depending on the degree of brightness wanted in the cut. As no tools are available commercially, everyone makes their own.

Japanese engraving places a much stronger emphasis on three dimensional carving than European engraving does, and there is also a very much wider variety of surface finishing practiced.

After Mr. Hijikata showed me the basics and let me practice some on a practice plate at his home, he took me over to the school where he teaches to observe the Friday night class.

At present, around 20 student study each day on Thursday and Friday split into day and evening classes, with another teacher as well as Mr. Hijikata. although this is obstensibly a stone setting class, which is the main use for engraving in Japan today, many of the student were concentrating on engraving for it's own creativity. the class was equally split between men and women, and they seemed a very talented bunch.

While engraving florishes in the States because of the wide call for engraving on guns and knives, in Japan, ownership of both guns and knives is strictly limited by law, so there are few engraving jobs for either. Engavers mainly concentrate on jewelery, but there are also some outstanding engravers who specialize in cigarette lighters, doing some truly exceptional work.

The school, located in Okachimachi, Tokyo's jewelry district, was well equipped, and is one of three jewelry schools in Tokyo that teaches engraving. Each school has a slightly different emphasis. All teach stone setting, but Mr. Hijikata's school also emphasizes engraving, while the other ones are stronger on metal coloring and
repousse work.

This may not be the last report you read on Japanese style engraving, as I'm going to sign up for the school. Other than Mrs. Hriayama, a German trained European style engraver that has a studio outside of Tokyo there is almost no one in Japan doing European style engraving. So it looks like I'm going to end up learning Japanese style engraving. If you see me holding my graver upside down from here on out, you'll know why.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bill: I'm glad you finally got connected with some engravers in Japan. I know you've been wanting to for quite awhile now. Sorry it took so long!

A few years ago I met a Japanese engraver at the IJT show in Tokyo and was impressed with his work. Come to find out he'd studied in Belgium. There seem to be few engravers in Japan doing the type/styles of work Cafe members do.

When Mr. Hijikata and 3 of his students came to my studio in 2005, they were very excited to use the Gravermax, and they all took new equipment home with them (purchased from Rio Grande and GRS). We had a mini class reunion in January, and they all showed me their latest engravings which are getting better and better.

Japan has a rich history of metal work, engraving (mostly on tsuba), and sword making, with very few engravers around today doing this type of work. My theory is that if the 'canvas' of the engraver is removed (be it firearm or sword), then the art can slowly die. I don't know if this is what happened in Japan, but if you look at the amazing engraving done on sword mounts a hundred or more years ago, you have to wonder why there aren't a slew of engravers doing something other than light jewelry engraving.

Keep us posted on your progress, and post photos of Mr. Hijikata's school if you can.

~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, Thanks for your report from Japan. It's wonderful that you had the opportunity to see the Japanese engraving school and that you shared your discoveries with us. Thanks for the informative post. :)

DanM

Elite Cafe Member

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bill

Thanks for that. What a facsinating read. If you ever get a chance, would it be possible to post some photos of the school, tools and work carried out.

Cheers
Andrew

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Andrew,
At the next blade show in Atlanta I am going to get together with Mr. Shigeru Tozaki, knifemaker & engraver,
whom I met last year. Mr. Tozaki not only makes the knives and engraves them, but he makes all his own tools..even the hammers. I am going to ask him to bring his tools to the Blade Show so I can see the Japanese way of engraving which should be very interesting. I am always interested in learning something new. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA

Andrew Biggs

Hi JJ

I really envy you guys being in such close proximaty of each other. I'm like you, always facinated by what other people do. There's always so much to learn and take inspiration from. Your meeting with Mr. Shigeru Tozaki sounds wonderful. I got a real buzz and learnt a lot from my USA trip earlier this year.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors