Question: How to measure heel length

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
If you are turning the graver or the vise,without cutting,while leaving the graver in the cut,you may be twisting the point right off the tool. God Bless,mike

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Mike some times the chip would occur along the side of the tool, not the point. I haven't had this problem with a shorter heel. I've been using the teeny tiny heel (around 1/64th) for shading lines and a heel slightly less than 1/32" for main scroll / leave cutting. I still can't get a heel like Brian says he gets with ceramic wheel / diamond spray alone (using 50,000 micron spray).
Thanks for the feedback!:thumbs up:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I had read that the heel should be about the width of a human hair. It took me some time to realize that if I kept using my own to gauge, I wouldn't be able to engrave for long. Now I just eyeball it.
Will
:beat up:

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Along one side is a good sign of twisting it in the cut. It usually goes out on the side opposite from the side of the point making contact with the side of cut.Kind of like knapping stone,flakes off the opposite side of the force application.God Bless,mike

Last edited:

Sponsors