+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Bands

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barrel Bands

Iím looking to put some gold barrel bands on a black powder octagonal barrel pistol that I am building. My question is whether there is a traditional size and setup, e.g. one at the muzzle and two at the breech. Also is there a traditional width? Thanks
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Humm
    The mountian man down the road from you might know:thumbs up: Also are you going to the school in Trinidad..Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I am in my fifth week of school in Trinidad, in fact the muzzle loader is my first firearm project and I wanted to put some flair on it. Colorado is amazing, this part of the country is addicting. The fishing is great and the hiking around here rivals what i did in Maine.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually like to use a piece of gold .040 diameter for the thick line and .020 for the thin one. Space them the thickness of the thick wire apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's nothing else to say after Marty's (FANCYGUN) post.
    He nailed it.
    Brian
    www.powleyengraving.com
    http://engraversnotebook.blogspot.com

"I dare you to believe in yourself. You have no idea how many wonderful things you are capable of doing."---Brian Powley

Post Thanks / Like

Jason,

Had to read your posting twice to determine what you want to do. In the common vernacular, barrel bands are the metal bands that retain the barrel on a military musket.

What type of pistol are you building? That's what determines what is "traditional."

With black powder guns, traditional is determined by time, place and school. European guns of a certain time period might have barrel inlays. Generally, American guns do not have barrel inlays. A medium to fine English gun might have platinum inlays around the breech end.

If you add something to a gun that is not traditional, then it becomes what is termed a fantasy gun. If you are building a fantasy gun, then go hog wild as the barrel is an excellent canvas to practice your skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys, sorry about the terminology snafu. :beat up: I will probably do a conservative "fantasy" design starting with the inlayed rings of gold as fancy gun suggested and design from there. The pistol started its life as a traditions trapper kit, the instructor suggested that if we wanted to do anything fancy that it be traditional. The more I talk to students that have done this project before, I think that he wanted to make sure that no one cammoed their pistol or something like that. I will post some pics when I get it done. Thanks again
    Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Jbardon,
    You are right on about the wonderfull things to see and do in Trinidad, Colorado.
    I spent more than 25 summers there at the college.
    Have you driven up the the Wall area, past the lake West of town in the evening?
    Turn South onto the gravel road next to the little motel just East of or before you get to the Wall.
    About a mile in on that road there are usually herds of elk. deer and turkeys to see.
    And the roadside is often covered in wildflowers too.
    Enjoy your stay, that's beautiful country and great people.
    Best.
    Last edited by John B.; 09-25-2010 at 10:19 PM.
    John B.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen barrel bands on pistols on very rare occasions. As a contemporary piece, you can do whatever you want, but as a traditional gun, you must stay within the bounds of history.

Search the archives for pistols on this site: http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
    Some fine contemporary and traditional work seen here: http://jwh-flintlocks.net/
    A site for American muzzleloading gun building and study: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Trinidad is a great little city. It has a lot of history. Check out the museum to find out who some of the historical figures that lived and worked in the area. Also check out Ludlow and its dark history. Have you been to the top of Simpsons Rest? I use to go up there every evening. There is an assume view from up there. Graduated from TSJC a long time ago. John B. had dark hair. Enjoy your time there. :thumbs up:
    Sandy
    Last edited by Sandy; 09-26-2010 at 01:32 AM.