Please, give me some advices in my investment project

zamora

Hello, I am Victor Zamora, I´m new to engraving but not for drawing; I want to ask you for some info about wich system and components of the systems you use for your main work and the main applications you have for your equipment.

Let me tell you I am an artisan bladesmith and the applications for my works may be mainly the engraving and scrimsaw, eventually the jewerly engraving and such; the equipment I am thinking to get is the grs system, so, in that order of idea I want you to tell me am I correct to that?, which components of the sistem are the main to get and the accesories for working with knives?

thaks in advance.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Victor! Welcome to the forum - we're glad to have you here. :)

Tools are a large subject on the forum and to that end have been covered over and over again. If you do a search on tools you will find much information.

As for the main components for engraving there are 3 basic components:
1) How you hold the work (vice, etc.)
2) How you see the work (microscope, optivisor, etc.)
3) The tool(s) you use to actually engrave the metal

You probably will have to decide if you wish to do generally large engraving where you would need to move a lot of metal, or generally small finesse items (jewelry, etc.). The systems do the entire range, but the hand piece or other options you choose may change depending on what you eventually want to do. Good luck. :)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The best way is to try them for yourself - a lot of the instructors have both main systems available.

If you add your location to your profile there may be people in your area who can let you try some things out.

zamora

Thank you Tira, thank you KcSteve, I will search, the main situation is I will purchase for the first time and mainly my aproach to knife engraving is for me, and the jewelry engraving (I hope) for my wife and daughter, eventually for myself too, so, the vise is one, the microscope is two, and the engaving system is three.

thank you again.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum. you are quite smart to seek this information. i use a lot of the grs equipment & know it to be good stuff ( gravermeister 30 years & still running ! ). magnablock, turntable, etc. also use a lot of stuff i've made myself that fits a need that is not available from commercial sources. you must buy the diamond-based sharpening system for accurate & repeatable tool geometry. a requirement for consistent cutting results, no matter what you are doing.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Victor, Just to clarify - there are 3 main components to an engraving set up, but you can get some or all of it in any order. There are many people who engrave with hammer and chisel with an optivisor and there are many people who engrave with all the modern equipment including a microscope. The level of engraving is due to the skill of the engraver through study and practice and not due to the tools. The tools are a personal preference, but neither limit nor create an engraver.

zamora

In fact, I will get the engravig system with compressor and give a try with an optivisor, for large engraving on knives, later will get the vise, because I am managing to make one while I practice the cutting; and the microscope at last, as said step by step.

The main goal is to practice and to have more and more practice, so maybe the sharpening system is a must with the engraving sys and the compressor.

thanks you all for your kind.