Help, please: resizing signet ring?

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks my friend! I have never resized anything like that so I may need to give you a call, but I will get it ordered....this is a unique project you might enjoy hearing about it anyway!

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Jane I don't cut silver to add a piece of sizing stock just to go up 1.5 sizes if its a new ring...
If you have a tapered ring mandrel and a chasing hammer put the ring on the mandrel and lightly hammer the bottom of the ring shank then turn it on its side on a block of steel and hammer the side that has spread a little to keep the shank from getting to thin...
Take your time you don't want to go to big or you will have to take a section out...
After you have it at aprox to size file and finish the inside and outside of the ring and polish...
Piece of cake...
I want be in the shop next week for 2 weeks, but if you need help you are welcome to call...
I'm there in the early morning this week...352.343.4535
Jerry

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jane,
I am no jeweler so I can't help you here but I know the cast rings can give engravers a fit sometimes. Maybe others that do more of these will jump in but you might look for a die struck signet ring if possible.
Rex

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Jane if you are to engrave it call Rio and talk to them...
Sam A has engraved many signet rings PM Sam...
Enlarging will be no problem but Rio and Stuller have good QC, if there's any noticeable porosity it usually goes back in the melt for another casting...
Jerry

JakeW

No problem sizing that ring but after the top may have a slight bow in it so make sure you file it flat, if need be, before you start engraving.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry and Rex,

Thanks for the tips/help! I will be ordering the ring this week so I won't receive it until next week and then hopefully I can start my project.
I have saved your number Jerry.
Thanks again!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you use a tapered mandrel to size up with a hammer, my rule is to never go over 3/4 of a size in which case it becomes necessary to add metal.If at all possible tapping the ring on the sides is much more preferable as to not make it thinner at the bottom of the shank. :tiphat::beat up::banana::beerchug:

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks amigo, I will probably be calling you some time next week. Have a great weekend and enjoy the exhibit, I'm still pouting I can't go!