Reflective rope border

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Tim for a great video.
Mike sent me a few practice plates some time ago to study and one of them had this border cut on one side. I could not figure out the proper way to cut it, even tho I tried. I read your post and looked at the video late last night and had to try it, so got my britches on and went to the shop and gave it a try. After watching that great video, it is not a real hard border to cut. Just have to take your time, and as you say "get in rhythm"
Thanks again for a great tutorial.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
Great tutorial Tim,
Thank you for taking the time making it. That sure makes a nice border and pretty easy to cut once you get the motion into the blood.

Peter

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Tim for a great video.
Mike sent me a few practice plates some time ago to study and one of them had this border cut on one side. I could not figure out the proper way to cut it, even tho I tried. I read your post and looked at the video late last night and had to try it, so got my britches on and went to the shop and gave it a try. After watching that great video, it is not a real hard border to cut. Just have to take your time, and as you say "get in rhythm"
Thanks again for a great tutorial.

It is also helpful to hold your left thumb against the graver to help guide it and stabilize it so your cuts are more controlled and accurate. I just knew I'd forget something. As I recall, that is how he taught me, with two hands.

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for posting that video Tim, I downloaded it to my Ipod so I can have it right with me when I engrave, or at least TRY to engrave it :)
Paul

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I should re-title it though to "how to talk like a redneck"...:beat up: I don't like hearing myself jabber much, it's awkward. Next one will be done ala Charlie Chaplin.... silent.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Great tutorial!!!!! I was thinking that maybe it should be called reflective fluting.As it is the negative of a rope.Like the flutes on a drill bit.I think "rope" is a little deceptive.What say yee? God Bless,mike

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Tim... your video tutorial is great! Do not worry about that.

I do not know what is "talk like a redneck"... the redneck is a bird, isn't it?
Anyway, I can tell you that almost all the people really hate listen themselves recorded.
If I may I will try to explain this phenomena a bit with my poor English...
When you talk you are receiving the sound that you yourself are producing through two channels, the air, that is received by our external ear and the bone channel, that is received by our internal ear.
But, when you are listening your voice recorded are not receiving that "magic" bone channel so you sound quite different for yourself.
Have you ever seen a singer covering his/her ear with a hand? This is to block out a loud external sound in a way to tune the voice better.

Well, excuse me for rambling so much about this.... As I say before your video is great and I am sure all of us will really appreciate many more!

Best regards,
Leonardo.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Well, well... I can see that it is not a bird! :beat up:
Thank you Doc for en-lighting me and enhance my English culture. Much appreciated.

As I quoted in other post:
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Groucho Marx.

Perhaps I should change my quote in the sign by this one... :thumbs up:

Leonardo.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a good tutorial. It is the perfect opportunity for those that do not feel confident enough to use a hand push graver. The cuts are short and as the wrist rotates the graver exits to the side of the metal.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dennis,

That's a cool idea! I may have to try that when I get home. It really would look more like "rope" but it won't be as flashy.

Latest posts

Sponsors