Reflective rope border

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike Dubber showed me how to cut what he called a rope border on a silver bracelet blank a few years ago. People have asked for a video on how to cut it so I mentioned a few months ago that I'd make one since I had just bought a little camera that I thought would fill the bill.

Well, it didn't and a few days ago I got reminded to do it so I used another camera and went through hell converting it twice into a format that youtube liked. For what it is, it is now up there to watch but you'll have to overlook my dry sense of humor, I'm not a good talker on film and this is the first time for me, be gentle.

The last few seconds got cut off and you can hear me but the video goes black. I'll have to fire my editor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5y1jaK8ca0

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Tim, Thanks for sharing the rope border engraving I going to try it on a brass or German silver patch box.May even look good on a lock plate. J.J.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Nice video.Thanks for the effort in putting it together.
I have a plate done by Don Glaser with that border on it and wondered how it was cut.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Tim,
Thanks for the vid....don't do much jewelery but I have put it in my archives for future reference.

Roger

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I just finished a money clip with a Lab on it and that ropen border will look real nice on the back-strap.

What other little tricks do you have up your sleve??? ;~)

zmankay

Tim,

No matter what you may think of the video, I personally think it is a great tutorial. Words alone can never show or describe the process as well as you've done in your video. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for doing the video Tim. I has to shown, not explained and you did that well.
And I will agree, I think Mike Dubber is the king of this border. He showed me years ago and his cuts seem to be flawless.
Rex

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Next time I do one, although I have no idea what it would be for, it should be a LOT easier. Sometimes I wonder if life wouldn't be easier if I just hauled off and bought a Mac...

You all have me second guessing myself now and I wonder if Mike did that border at the engrave in, maybe it was a dream. At any rate if he didn't he should have... You're all entirely welcome. I was glad to do it to help whoever wants to use it.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
You have made a great video tutorial Tim. Thank you very much for your effort!

By the way, watching that video I was wandering if any of you have ever tried to sharp the bottom of the flat graver "concave" in a way to leave a more convex profile in that rope border... Could it be possible? What do you think about?

Best regards,
Leonardo.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Oh! I would like to try, for sure! But, unfortunately I have not one of that nice pneumatic tools! :(

Come on Tim... give it a try, please! :thumbs up:

Latest posts

Sponsors