New to engraving

Hello everyone!

I am a goldsmith living in Norway! I graduated in the spring of 2006, and ever since I've been producing my own jewelry. Every piece is 100% handmade, and unique. I do not produce two of the same design.
In 2008 I started my own firm selling jewelry online. One day I do hope to open my own shop, but that is in the future.

I have always been interested in engraving, but I have not had any way of learning the art from another person. Here it seems that hand engraving really is an extinct art, as there are only three currently working in the capital, all of which are over 60 years old...

To start engraving I bought 22 Müller gravers from a retired engraver, as well as a manual from 1896 (I kinda figured I'd try to learn from the time the machines weren't dominating the art). I see now that trying to learn the old way is really a slow way of going about it.

Fortunately I picked up Sam's DVD on setting stones, and Don Glaser's engraving DVD. After watching the DVDs many times, I decided to order a Gravermax G8 with the 901 hand piece. It has just arrived, and I have been engraving about two hours now, and I must say I am loving the easy flow of the machine!

I bought mr. Meeks book the Art of Engraving, and I've read through it twice. Started drawing the scrolls and following his advice. So far I'm really pleased with my progress. :) I have also started to make my own little booklet filled with designs I've found in books of Ornaments, and images I've found of great engravings. When I become a little more adept with the graver I'll start trying to engrave some of them. :)

I am really glad to have found this forum filled to the rim with talented artists and I hope to get to know you all a lot better!

A special thanks to Sam is in order, for helping me kickstart my career. :) Thanks for showing me the power of the Gravermax. :)

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Welcome, Steinar.
I know you will find a lot of help in this happy place called the Cafe forum.
Glad you are enjoying your Gravermax, a wonderful tool.
Mr. Meek produced a great book but a little confusing in the area of graver sharpening.
May I suggest that you do a search for more up-to-date videos and information on this site and others. Also on the GRS and FEGA sites, www.fega.com
May I also complement you on your great understanding and use of the English language.
Best,

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome, Steinar, good to have you here. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Dwayne

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Steinar, I’m a goldsmith too, for 30 years now. I also have admired the nice Acanthus ornaments and fine engraving but never found a way to start even understanding scroll work.
I have learned making scroll designs and engraving for two years now, only by the support of those helpful and patient people here in the Café.
Never though I would be able.

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome!

Number one bit of advice I can give you is to get a sharpening system.

The GRS Dual Angle is infinitely flexible and will let you sharpen pretty much anything but you have to figure out how to do it. Sam has some bits on using it on the main iGraver page.

The Lindsay template system is darn near fool proof with its templates but you can't really sharpen anything you don't have a template for.

Both provide the number one thing you need which is a clean, consistent point.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i, too, wish to welcome you. once you learn the basics of engraving, you'll not only make your creations more unique and pretty, but somewhat worthier of extra money ! that always helps these days. send us a few fotos of your progress. kc was right, with what you already have, a sharpening "system" is a must to create tools that will give you consistent cutting results. for the practical approach to engraving, from a book, i feel there is none better than the "meeks book". james touches on just about every discipline one need master to become a competent engraver.

James Miller

Hello Steinar and welcome to this fine forum. I am an English goldsmith with 49 years experience so far, I am also an amateur engraver but not in the same league as the engravers on this site. I read this forum every day and enjoy seeing the work and the knowledge handed out by contributers. I also look forward to seeing some of your work.

Latest posts

Sponsors