kel tec 380

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
i need help FAST, I have a keltec 3PAT freedom series pistol I looked up the slide metal and it is "hard chromed" so question is can i engrave on the slide?

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Griff,

I was once asked to engrave a set of Weaver scope rings that unknown to me were plated with black hard chrome. I fought my way through the first one and told the customer that there was no charge but I wouldn't do the second. It was just too much stress and aggrivation. I would expect that any hard chrome is as bad as another. Consider that they line the inside of rifle and shotgun barrels with hard chrome so it is pretty impervious to wear and heat.

Good luck,

Roger

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They don't call it "hard chrome" for nothing.....
Besides, you should never cut through any kind of plating. More often than not it will flake, peel and chip let alone be near impossible to cut anyhow.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you do this you will at least learn to become very efficient at tool sharpening !!

griff silver

Elite Cafe Member
well i had no choice!!

Well I shure learned one on this deal, I ASSUMED the slide was stainless. mistake 1 . I had already said i would do it mistake 2. It wasnt that bad to cut once the tip was through the coating, after all the advice i didnt git real ambitous about it. I kept it simple and ended up with a VERY amature job of engraving but he liked it and I got $200 for 4 hours of sharpening tools and 3 hours of engraving! oh well experience points i guess :beat up:

Attachments

• keltecside.jpg
    keltecside.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 123
  • keltectop.jpg
    keltectop.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 116

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think it looks great. Your "VERY amature job of engraving" is my someday goal. Thanks for posting, Seth