finding pictures of trans. cut

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn,

First off, I want to say that I really like what you did on that sample. It is not exactly done as I do flare cutting but that is unimportant. Yours has an elegantly simple look to it and that is the beauty of the flare cut.

I should add that after that tutorial, there was an agreement to use the term "flare cut" for the style as it was never meant to be called "transition cut" in the first place. Part of it is a marketing thing. As an engraving customer would you rather own a flare cut widget or one that is transition cut?

Now as to pictures of this style. I have about 7,000 images of engraving in my digital archives and the only ones I have of flare cut are ones I saw on the forums other than the tutorial I wrote for The Engraver. I first stumbled into this style of engraving about 10 to 15 years ago but didn't do much with it. Ron Smith and Diane Scalese had also been doing it but it is not an old traditional style so unlikely you can find many images. The beauty is you can make of it what you like as long as it has the lines of beauty as your example does.

Roger

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, I agree that looks nice. I wil have to give it a try myself at it seems a style that does not need too much time.

arnaud

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, I agree that looks nice. I wil have to give it a try myself at it seems a style that does not need too much time.

arnaud

That is the beauty of flare cut (well, one of the beauties). But as you'll find when you try it, the danger is that it's kind of a pass/fail thing - it's very hard to 'fix' a cut if you mess up in any way.

I need to get back to playing with it. In fact I've got a piece that's been giving me design fits that it might work well on.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
as i went thru the collection and dug up all the flare stuff i had, the striking thing is how this form always seems to be very 3-dimensional. it really jumps out at you.

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
thanks everyone.
peter i had no idea that this flare cut could look so good.
shawn

Shawn,

The pictures posted in those few threads are sure the lookers, the big think to this style is you got to see it in your mind first before you start cutting. But from what little I have done it sure is a lot of fun and pretty good looking.

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors