Rifle barrel removal

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A good gunsmith.....
Seriously.. I don't know what you have for tools but the 99 barrels can be tough sometimes. You need a good barrel vise and good action wrench to keep from damaging the action. Some of those barrels were really jammed on and then you add 60 years of corrosion.

bjiantonio

Somtimes a little heat on the action works. Also, if your action wrench is a strong one. A hit on the wrench with a large hammer will shock the action enough to loosen it.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As it happens I was going through the Tips section the other day and remembered that there was a post on this.

Marty Rabeno (Fancygun) posted this:
One technique I use for removing stubborn barrels like on a rifle is.......
Put the barrel in a vice and attach a long bar clamp like a woodworker uses to the action. Now put a bucket of sand or anything else you might have in the bucket for wieght onto the end of the clamp. Now go to sleep and in the morning it will be lose. The slow steady constant wieght seems to break free the most stubborn barrels and actions. Much easier and safer than trying to force it free with muscle power.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Wow... that is a trick. I'll give it a try.
My problem is that the barrel will rotate in the barrel vise under extreme pressure. I do use leather in the vise to protect the finish on the barrel.

I do appreciate very much all information/ideas from the collective (sounds a little like something from Star Trek).

Thanks again,

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Dennis,
Try rosin on 1/2 plywood scrap in the barrel vise.
And wrapping the barrel in newspaper and rosin under the plywood adds extra grip.
Best of luck.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You say "vise"... Do you mean "barrel vise"? A regular machinist vise won't cut it.
You might be able to remove some easy barrels this way but I had Savage 99s that were nasty. You are probably going to need to make a set of blocks to fit the barrel that fit the whole circumference. In the old days I would drill it oversize and use epoxy. I'm not so sure Thermo-loc wouldn't work as well. You "might' be able to then do it with a machinist vise but usually it takes a barrel vise and LOTS of pressure. As John B said, rosin works wonders too. On a 99 I would say there is a good chance you will not get the barrel off without some damage to the finish. You might luck out but keep that in mind. There are 2 schools on "how" to remove them. Steady pressure or a sharp rap.
Most old barrels are corroded on and require constant pressure. Newer barrels are just on tight and need to be rapped to remove.
Good luck. Perhaps you might luck out and not have a super tight one.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

You can give the best penetrating mix around bar non to help loosen it.

Mix 50% automatic transmission fluid and 50% acetone and put it on the stubborn part.

If that doen't loosen it up nothing will..

AirAmp

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Penetrating fluids can help but the main issue is you are trying to take a 7/8" nut off of a 7/8" bolt that was put on really tight. Sort of like trying to loosen a lug nut on a car wheel with the wheel off the ground. It just takes a good barrel and action wrench so things don't slip.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Dulltool,
Rex is right. You need a Good Barrel Vise and action wrench. I am not saying you won’t get it off other ways but you are taking the chance of warping or cracking the action. There is no way to explain the feeling when that happens. I use a hydraulic barrel press with a 12 ton hydraulic jack and a action wrench for the action I am working on. Then a 6 foot cheater bar on the wrench handle and still have had the devil of a time getting the barrel off. Find a Gunnsmith locally and he will have it off for you in short order. Good Luck. :tiphat:
Sandy

Last edited:
Yes, The sights must be in the right place to work.

I have a 1950's vintage Savage 99 as well. Integral front sight base makes it unforgiving for barrel removal and instalation.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
:thumbs up:In order to make it easier to realign the barrel use a small sharp chisel and strike a mark on the barrel and the frame in the same blow, then just line them up on reinstall:thumbs up:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Years ago Ralph Bone showed me a "pointed" cold chisel he made for that. Just think sort of a 90 degree arrowhead. That way you could mark action and barrel at once.
It worked well but was a bugger to grind. Since mine got dull I now just use a air rotary tool and small round bit to make the mark.

Latest posts

Sponsors