Question: Stereo microscope mbs-10 / mbc-10 / sf-100

Andrew Biggs

X10 eyepieces with a .5 objective lens. There are other configurations but that is generally accepted as the "standard" That gives you plenty of hand room under the scope. If you are using something like hammer and chisel a lot and need more room, then you may want to think about the .3 objective lens but that brings in a few other issues like vise height and lighting etc etc.

Also, if you wear glasses, then get the eyepieces for glasses. They have a rubber o ring around the top edge so you don't scratch your glasses. You don't want to get into the situation of glass on, glasses off, glasses on, glasses off, etc. That gets old real fast.

You can also have the rubber eyepiece things that stick on the end. Personally I hate them and never use them but that is personal choice.

Cheers
Andrew

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, when you say the .3 or .5 objective lens, is that the Barlow lens? And will that come with the scope? I'm not seeing it in the package options.

Andrew Biggs

It's the bit that screws in the bottom of the scope. I think it is called the Barlow lens but I'm unsure (?????) I've always called it the objective lens but I could be wrong with my terminology :)

Not sure if it comes with the scope. It would pay to check with your supplier. A quick e-mail or phone call would clear that up. These things can be a mix and match depending on what you want as it can differ with each user. Looking on the GRS web site it would appear that the .5 objective comes with the microscope along with the X10 eyepieces. Just check first in case I am wrong.

The x10 eyepieces with the .5 objective gives you about 6" of working room which is plenty if using push gravers or air assist. It also leaves room for using beading tools with a chasing hammer.

A .3 objective gives you about 12" (from memory as I don't use mine very much) and is great for hammer and chisel. That will also lower the work considerably and your turntable can end up around your knees or lower.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew, I'll give them a call, I appreciate your time & explaining things, Have a good day!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have been using an Omano Microscope from the Microscope Store for 10 years. It has no issues with it what so ever. Was very impressed with the Microscope stores owner and Leonardo, Our resident expert on all things scope He has in the achieve an exhalent what to look for, what to but and what not to buy. Several models of the of the Leica are listed in the scopes to avoid. I followed his advice after trying several scopes settled on the Omano. I got the top of the line scope configured for engravers and have remained quite satisfied for all these years. No rerates of any king their advice in set up was great and their ergo nomic advice was excellent. Would recommend them to to anyone. Fred

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Andrew, I'll give them a call, I appreciate your time & explaining things, Have a good day!

There are many quality scopes on ebay that you would do very well with. There is an EMZ5 for sale in the classifieds two tabs over. Plus Tira sells the Leica A60 which is supposed to be an awsum scope! If you are stuck on a new meiji you still can't go wrong :)

Donny

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My first one was an Omano, it was fine, but the last few years I've been having fits with the eye pieces, probably try to replace them at some point for a back up, Ordered a EMZ-5 today, Thanks for the help Andrew! Should be in Friday or Saturday. Looking forward to using it.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, The scope came in Friday, all I can say is, I wish I would've purchased it a long time ago, Thanks for your help in understanding it. I also bought a articulating stand for this one & like it considerably more than the one on my other scope. It's not the Acrobat but I really like it. Also bought the 144 LED Light ring with dimer switch, it's awesome! A lot better than the fluorescent light ring. 10 thumbs up!!!! for the whole package.

bf2

Andrew, The scope came in Friday, all I can say is, I wish I would've purchased it a long time ago, Thanks for your help in understanding it. I also bought a articulating stand for this one & like it considerably more than the one on my other scope. It's not the Acrobat but I really like it. Also bought the 144 LED Light ring with dimer switch, it's awesome! A lot better than the fluorescent light ring. 10 thumbs up!!!! for the whole package.

Can I ask where you ordered your EMZ-5 scope from ... thank you

Latest posts

Sponsors