Question: Stereo microscope mbs-10 / mbc-10 / sf-100

eno-

Hello experts! I am searching budget microscope for engraving and stone setting use.
I found this microscope very intresting. The price is low and the optics should be quite good. This microscope is sold with two different lenses F=90mm and F=190mm. With F=190mm lense the working distance is 170mm and with F=90mm lense it is 95mm. Which one suites better for engraving and stone setting? Below is couple articles and some specification about this microscope. Can you share your professional view about this scope.

Thank you!

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag...croscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artdec06/rp-mbs10.html

http://rusoptics.com/?module=catalog&action=viewproduct&id=22

http://lzos.ru/en/index.php?page=sh...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag...roscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/artmar06/rp-mikmed.html

JLA.jr

Eno, I do not know a bunch about scopes but 1 thing I have learned on here is that money spent on a proven scope is money well spent. I took the advise from many threads here in the cafe and bought the MEJI EMZ 5 and it is worth every penny i spent on it. There are plenty of threads in here for what to look for and what brands to shy away from. I know this does not help you with this scope but you are in the right place to find out- for sure. Good luck Jack jr.

Nathan Ott

This may help you.

http://www.absoluteclarity.com/buy&avoid.htm

Theres a sticky in the Tips section that lists it also, but this might make it easier.

Trying to skimp on a scope is probably going to bite you in the end (although I admit I don't know anything about the particular scope you've listed). I looked at a lot of scopes and waited a few years before I was finally able to buy one. I thought about buying a cheaper scope just to get one in my hands.

In the end I bought a used Meiji. I ended up with the entire setup for about what I was going to pay for a Chinese scope.

The best advice is the same advice everyone here gave me: a quality used scope is better than a low quality new scope.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello experts! I am searching budget microscope for engraving and stone setting use.
I found this microscope very intresting. The price is low and the optics should be quite good.

I've not used one of these scopes, but as a rule low price and good optics is not the case. You will get exactly what you're willing to pay for.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
These scopes are very good for their price.
I have bought 3 of them.
There is no zoom but the magnification is well adapted for the engraver's work.
( from +- 5X to 50x ).
take the 2 types of lenses, they are not expensive. The F 90 is good for engraving, the F190 better when using a hammer or punches.There is 3 types of eyepieces with the microscope, the best is the 8x.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Alain, I will be in Aachen in a couple of weeks. maybe you can bring that pretty young lady with you over to Phillippe's and we "let's have a booze" together.

Alain Lovenberg

Elite Cafe Member
No zoom??? Ack! That would be an instant deal breaker for me.

Hello Sam,

these scopes are not so bad even without a zoom, I used one during many years. The quality of the optic is really good for the price.
The scopes have 6 level of magnification that you can change by simply switching a button, easy to use.
I agree with you that a zoom would be better, but surely more expensive.

Alain

eno-

Thank you for your answers! I have decided to buy that microscope.

hybridfiat

Ive bought an Amscope stereo mic and am very happy with the optics. I use Zeiss rifle scopes so have some experience of good optics. $500au landed in Australia.
I dont intend on dropping it so hopefully it wont need servicing for a long time. I bought a Barlow lens with it to give a 150mm working distance. It cost half what a Meji mic would cost and that was including postage.
I stress Im not a professional engraver so perhaps my needs are easier to fulfil.

rocketpilot

i agree with nathan and sam. wait until you can afford a name brand scope with zoom and .5 objective lens. you get what you pay for in a scope.
craig

eno-

Hi everybody. I have now used this microscope about two years for stonesetting. Nowadays i own two of mbs-10 microscopes. I use F190 lens and 8x eyepieces.

I have used and tested a variety of microscopes over time. (meiji EMZ-5, amscope, zeiss opmi7)

I am glad that i have found these LOMO manufactured old microscopes.

I must say that Russians rocks with optics.

Here are something to read about:
http://www.novacon.com.br/lenses08.htm

Sometimes cheap can be the good or even close to the best.

I have not felt the need for zoom and turret with 5 different magnifications works nicely.

Kindly Lauri

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
I worked with these Russian Microscopes to and I believe I promoted them here also. Like Alain says they are good! And about the no zoom thing. These mycroscopes are step mycroscopes you can zoom in 5 steps. This type of "zooming" gives you a more clear zoom then a zoom microscope. When you look at the top mycroscopes like Zeiss Ompi1 Wild heerbrugg etc they are step mycroscopes!

mrthe

Is a nice scope , i had owned one for two years, now i have gift it, and for his price work well, the lens are good not bright like the Opmi zeiss ones but is a respectable scope.
the tambor system is great i have it on my Opmi 1 and at the end of the day you feel the difference

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Interesting info on Russian optics. One of my Zeiss lenses was manufactured on Belarus.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Sam said " You will get exactly what you're willing to pay for."

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've had my scope for several years, and as bad as I hate to admit it but I bought one of the lower end scopes, and it was fine for awhile, though not nearly what the Meiji scope is but for the money thought I'd be ok, I had so many projects going I felt like I needed the money in other places. Now as bad as I hate to admit it, I'm going to humble myself & get a Meiji EMZ-5, my question is when I order it, what power eye pieces do I need? 10x 15x 20x or 30x and is there any reason I would need more than one size? Please Help.

mrthe

10x eyepieces is enough for general engraving, personally for micro carving and little details i use time to time the 20x but i have to say that my scope have only a 0,4 to 2,5 x zoom range, the meiji have the double (4,5x) if you don't use a barlow lens, i don't think you will need more than the 10x oculars

Latest posts

Sponsors