How vise height can affect microscope use

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
john: this is probably the slickest setup i've seen. i'm gettin a scope, and forsee a need for the headrest. i'm thinking it shouldn't be attached to the scope. does this cause any problem for you ??

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Monk.
Both of my scopes have headrests attached directly to them and seem to work just fine.
I sometimes move the scope around by pushing on them with my forehead.
Like you, I'm a long time Optivisor user and no microscope expert.
Sam and some of the other folks can better answer your questions about their use.
They have far more experience with them than I do.
When Sam started this thread it was about proper seating and posture.
That is really an important part in their use, that much I know.
John B.

Swede

Monk, I just set up my own Meiji, and I built a headrest for it rather than buy one. There were two places I could have attached it. One was a portion of the boom, which would NOT have moved with the focus... the second was on the focus assembly itself. I went with the latter, so that when I focused, the relationship of the headrest and eyepieces would be consistent. I'm convinced you almost have to do it that way, as once it's set, you want the view to pop as soon as you place your noggin on the headrest.

I also found that it had to be really padded to be comfortable! I sewed up a piece of elk hide around a 1/4" layer of foam rubber. That felt much better than the first one I made, which was leather, but no foam.

monk

Staff member
this is a really great foto, john. it clearly shows the relationships of the scope and vise movements. my scope came last saturday. i did discover, that at least for now, the ceiling mount is not needed. now if i can just find a drill press that's been in a car crash !

monk

Staff member
head rest

Monk, I just set up my own Meiji, and I built a headrest for it rather than buy one. There were two places I could have attached it. One was a portion of the boom, which would NOT have moved with the focus... the second was on the focus assembly itself. I went with the latter, so that when I focused, the relationship of the headrest and eyepieces would be consistent. I'm convinced you almost have to do it that way, as once it's set, you want the view to pop as soon as you place your noggin on the headrest.

I also found that it had to be really padded to be comfortable! I sewed up a piece of elk hide around a 1/4" layer of foam rubber. That felt much better than the first one I made, which was leather, but no foam.
i appreciate this advice, swede. i'm presently not using a rest but will probably gravitate to one soon. i have started from square one though, with back straight, and neck straight, and i gotta say, it's actually less bothersome than my normal sitting position. i go for about an hour foolin with a nickel, an i do mean foolin- and i don't feel stiff. thanks again for the great advice.

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Here's another option for a work support. I am using a hydraulic chair support from a barber shop. I took off the chair and bolted a plywood table directly to the chair bracket. Bolt the support directly to the floor and you have an easily adjusted working platform. I paid $25 for my base---just check out a barber/beauty shop supply company.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
John B.
This is a great set up. Clean and simple. I have been thinking about changing my set up for some time. Thanks for showing yours. I will start turning down the piece of steel still today. Thanks John.
Sandy

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Sandy,Tall Gary, Steece, Monk and others.
Thank you for your interest and comments on my drill press/scope stand.
But I'm feeling a little uncomfortable about this.
In retrospect, I should have started this as a new post.
My apology to our host Mr. Sam. It was thoughtless but unintended of me.
I did not want or intend in any way to hijack his important thread with information and a clear drawing on the correct posture for microscope use.

And I hope I have not done that!
Sorry about it, John B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors