Question: Grand Masters loupe.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Does anyone know the manufacturer's name of the loupes that the Italian Grand Masters used during the 2010 GRS class, please?
And it would be helpful to know the model number and if possible the name of a supplier in the USA.
From the pictures posted of the event on the GRS website it looks like they may be dual power.
Thank yoiu for any help.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
John,this is from rods posting after. Saturday was a great day for us 'Weekenders'. The bulino class generously allowed free access for us to wander round the individual benches, and take a look at progress. I must say that I was very impressed. All the plates were looking very good, and way above my pay grade. Just like four years ago, the Italians came with their full tool-kit in their shirt pocket .... hand sharpened and ruby stoned push burrin with almost needle like point, having approximately 45 degree front face and about 80 degree vee ( no heel, but about 20 degree 'lift' ). They worked with flat light, and a Zeiss lupe, of large objective lens diameter, and both x6 and x9 magnification.
God Bless,mike P.S. Kassoy jewelry suppliers,is an excellent company to deal with.They carry the best loupes on the open market i think they are in new york.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you very much for the information and link, Mike.
Looks as if they may be using the LZ 36 but with a white case instead of the black one shown on the Kassoy site.
Best regards.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JOHN, I noticed in the description that it has a polymer shell rather than metal. As Phil C. mentioned sometime ago plastic is good in case you accidently hit the engraving.
Kevin P.
I also was wondering what specific loupe was used.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Tira,
many thanks for your information.
You are great about always taking such detailed notes.

Kevin, thank you.
I agree a plastic case is better for this purpose.
The ones shown in Tundratreckers link appear to have black plastic cases.
The ones showing the Masters using them in the GRS photos have white or cream cases.
May be just a cosmetic change and not important as long as the optics are the same.
I'll check out the ones shown in Tira's site in a moment.

Best, and thanks.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Friend John: I wasn't at GM but I have three Zeiss loupes and they are all absolutely excellent. I have a 10x, 6x, and my latest is the combo 3x + 6x. You pay for the privilege but the optics are second to none.

Sponsors