Gesso??

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone ever tried "gesso" to put a white coat over metal to draw on with a pencil? It's sort of a water based plaster-like solution at art stores. Pretty watery so it might need something to make it stick to smooth metal.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave white watercolor is commonly used. It comes as a tablet in a plastic container. At least for me it works best when I wet my finger and rub it around in the tablet. It helps prevent getting too much on the metal. Too much leads to flaking.
Kevin P.

All art supply stores carry it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use gesso for building up a bit of texture on oil paintings and picture frames. i doubt it would do what want without altering it somehow.

monk

Staff member
after a visit to steves' forum, ate a nice snack- a crow sandwich. always willing to try another one ( transfer trick that is ), the water based, thin type does work ! pencil will lay down better i found, with the addition of some modpodge to the gesso.

piper

modpodge?

Might be I'm out of the Colloquialism net, but what the heck are you telling me to add to the Gesso when I give it a try?
Thanks...
Andrew

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hi piper-

google 'Mod Podge' and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know.

monk

Staff member
piper: i don't know what a callasquism is. but mod podge is some kinda gunk hobby people use for, heck-- i don't really know. i just know you need to have some around just in case you need some ! yogi berra kept a jar in his locker, so that's why i keep a jar.

Latest posts

Sponsors