Critique Request English scroll work

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Hora,
It is good to see that you are infected with the engraving virus, and you give me a push too follow you. And indeed there are more people in Holland that are busy with the learning process off engraving.Regads Caty

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
English scrolls . . . next step.

English scrolls . . . next step.

I made a new design today. First I traced the outlines on a clean white sheet of paper. This trace work I scanned it to a jpg picture and down scaled it to a 32mm square and inserted it onto a word document. Had the document printed with my Samsung 1640 on my parchment paper and transferred it from the parchment to a small plate of copper that was prepared with Guttegom. Before cutting the transfer was fixated to the plate preventing it to "fall off".

My coal with this plate was to combine different sizes of scrolls in one design. Further I wanted to achieve some depth. To get the depth a added at a few location some shades. The "internals" of the scrolls I did cut straight away.

Thanks for the replies, appreciated! I really amaze myself with this result.:banana:

Hope you like it as well!

Attachments

• English Scroll 5.jpg
    English Scroll 5.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 75
  • English Scroll 6.jpg
    English Scroll 6.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 95

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Hora,

Wow! for some first attempts, those are great. Pay attention to the flare of the leaf cuts on Rex's example. Of course you must lean the tool a bit to get this flare effect between the leafs.

I am pretty impressed with what you have done, my friend. You are gaining fast.

It was a pleasure to meet you in kansas.

I think you have found a new love..........a little time and experience will show great results and you have a handle on it, and practice will refine it.

Rock on, buddy!

Ron S

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Ron,
Nice to meet you here as well and thanks for the posting.

I enjoy what I am doing!
These results push my motivation. With the Rex-type English scrolls as shown, I try to understand scrolls and how they flow and move. It is a handy way to have a nice result in a limited amount of time.
Then I still have a long way to fully understand the capabilities and possibilities of my new tools. Sharpening is one of them . . .

Bill,
I take that as a complement!

mark c

The work looks good , better than mine. The free hand drawing is tough to get equal all around . it dose look even and the shading is nice , keep working mark c

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
My next step into English Scrolls

My next step into English Scrolls. The picture shows a design that measures overall 11 x 68 mm.

I did some searching on the forum an stumbled into a posting of Marcus Hunt ( http://igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5295&highlight=english+scroll ). A really good posting on English Scrolls. Thanks.:thumbs up:

After doing the Rex-type English Scrolls I learned the rhythm that this kind of scroll hides. With the explanation from Marcus and the comparison between the 2 types of scrolls I found some similarities in this rhythm and that I tried to translate in my latest attempt.

This time I engraved with a 120° face design of graver. The previous attempts I did with a 90° graver.

For sure now I am in need of some guidance of some masters to continue with these scrolls. Answers I am looking for are:

- What type of graver design do I use?
- How wide should my graver face be?
- Do I use more than 1 type of graver in such a design?
- How do I start at the widest side of this design with the scrolls? I am not satisfied with my own solution in this design.

Great-full if I get some real advice.:beat up:

Attachments

• English Scroll 9a.JPG
    English Scroll 9a.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 63