Some English Scroll on a Tattoo Machine

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a little english scroll on a tattoo machine that a friend built for me. I know there are some elbows and the shading is somewhat thin, (and the more I look at the lettering, the more I hate it), but I would like to hear any critique that you may have, as I am still new to this style and am eager to learn, Thanks

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
I think they look great, I would say that you could do with some alterations in your design process as you have scrolls starting from junctions rather than from off the spines of your main scroll. Did that make any sense? (I thought it did before it went into print.)

I thought I may have been the only engraver with tattoo guns on my shelf, the scrolls do transfer well to skin work by the way! Ty

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks pretty good to me! Of course we're still awaiting the guys who actually know how to do English Scroll ;)

TyG - English scroll is different. Do a search and find some of the work posted by Marcus Hunt or Simon Lytton to see how it's supposed to be done. It kind of comes in waves, rolling out from the starting scroll.

Chapi one thing - that dark spot in the center. I think you could / should have had a leaf there instead of a space. But like I said, I'm also awaiting expert evaluation. The only other thing I can see is the shading you already pointed out is a bit thin. That you can go back and touch up though if you want to.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Ty and Steve,
-Ty, you are absolutely correct about scrollwork on skin, and it makes a great fill-in for traditional if you don't want to do "stars and dots". I know of at least 4 tattoo artists that are also engraving, but there are probably another 100 hiding in the dark where you can't see em.
-Steve, I know exactly what you mean about the dark spot. As soon as I cut that little spot out, I realized I could have thrown in a little triangle-leaf off the top of that scroll to the right of it. Hindsight might not be as good as 20/20, but its better than "now-o-vision". Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Sponsors