Help, please: Quality Knives at resonable prices?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been asked to engrave a knife for an aquaintance who will give it to her boss. She will raise the money from her co-workers. Their budget will be around $450.00. So I'm looking for a nice engravable folder under $300.00. They might consider a fixed blade also. I'm not going to charge much for the engraving, as the recipient is also a good friend.

Any suggestions?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going with the Ron Lake factory knives. They are exactly the type of folder that I like and they do look like his very expensive handmade knives. It pays to shop around a little when buying these. Vilts, your link has the best prices. Some other websites had the exact same knives for $100.00 more! I may buy one for myself just for fun!

Thanks again!

p.s. I don't mean to close this thread. If anyone else has any suggestions or sources, please let us "bargain shoppers" know.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those Ron Lake designs are nice looking, but after holding one, I would MUCH prefer a nice handmade knife.

Mike Alsdorf makes some really fine knives and does make interframes. Tim Britton makes some nice gentlemans lockbacks, and $265 - $300 is their typical price range. I have knives from both and they are well made.

The Lake I held was very nice looking, but not finely made and not smooth opening and closing. It was made in Japan or China and it was etched on the blade.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
The stag handled production Lakes are well made, I was told the production was overseen by Ron Lake. The one I handled had smooth action and locked up tight. I think Don Guild bought the remaining knives in that production run. However, I have not seen these MOP knives, but they look to be of a different run so they may not be as good. As with most Chinese products, results may vary.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Mark: I Just Engraved Two Small Tim Britton Folders In July. They Were High Quality, Mastodon Ivory Handle Scales, And Were Under 300.00. Check Them Out.

Marcel54

I own one of the "Lake" folders and I got mine from Don Guild. It is worth every penny and more. If you look at the ones presented at the Hanwei website you can see some telling differences (like the way the stag is attached to the frame) from the ones Don Guild offers. If you go with one of these folders do yourself a favor and buy one from Don.

Marcel

Latest posts

Sponsors