Another Jim Barnes Knife - Bulino

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Seems lately I’m doing more knife work than anything else. This was my first time to try line bulino on such a small scale. I found that it went much faster than dot work, but I still need lots of practice to be able to get the kind of detail I would like to be getting. Fortunately, I purchased Chris DeCamillius’ bulino video a while back and that helped a lot. I still haven’t decided which side of the bulino fence I will land on. The fact that line work goes so much faster weighs pretty heavy in its favor though.

Comments, critiques, and cussings welcome as always.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Knife engraving

Jim, Knife & engraving top notch, keep up the good work. J.J.

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good job Jim! I guess I've been a little chicken on the bulino stuff. I haven't tried any. I really like what you did on this one. Keep up the good work.

Dwayne

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Fine job. Well done, Jim. Very nice knife and engraving.
For my two cents, fine line bulino combined with some dots is the way to go on most items except pure art pieces.
The work is easier to view from any angle and much more durable if the item is to be put to use. Just my thinking.
Best to you.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the kind words. I'd appreciate any critiques as well. There's a lot of folks here would know more than I'll ever guess about the mysteries and miseries of bulino.

Bunic, the knife has already been delivered to the owner, so I can't take more photos. I'll see if I can find a photo of it that shows a bit more detail of the bulino though. I can tell you that it looked pretty rawnchy to me under the scope. But almost OK with the naked eye.

Dwayne, you ought to jump in the bulino ring. I really have enjoyed the little that I've done. Its a nice break from what I normally do. That last praying cowboy design you did recently would look good in bulino. If you messed up you could convert it to a silouette and nobody would need to know.

John, my friend, what you say makes perfect sense and it suits me fine to straddle the fence. "Entre azule y buenos noches.", as they say down south. Truth be told, this is probably a bit of both dots and lines as some of the lines are so short they would easily qualify as dots. I've discoverd that I can get better results for both the short lines and the finer lines (such as the shorter fur on the elk's back) by pushing without power. At least it seems that way to me.

Like Michelanglo said, "I'm still learning."

Best,

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks Guys,

John, my friend, what you say makes perfect sense and it suits me fine to straddle the fence. "Entre azule y buenos noches.", as they say down south. Truth be told, this is probably a bit of both dots and lines as some of the lines are so short they would easily qualify as dots. I've discoverd that I can get better results for both the short lines and the finer lines (such as the shorter fur on the elk's back) by pushing without power. At least it seems that way to me.

Like Michelanglo said, "I'm still learning."

Best,

Jim, my friend.
Learning???
Aren't we all! Every day.
And it never stops, hopefully.
Best to you.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Truth be told, this is probably a bit of both dots and lines as some of the lines are so short they would easily qualify as dots. I've discoverd that I can get better results for both the short lines and the finer lines (such as the shorter fur on the elk's back) by pushing without power. At least it seems that way to me.

I often use a combination of dots and lines when I cut bulino but the longer lined stuff is much easier to see at varying angles than the pure dot technique. It is also far harder wearing.

I also revert to hand pushing bulino as it takes next to no power to cut this style. I know Ray Cover used to do the same but I'm not sure if he still does or not. I feel far more in control without power assistance when it comes to the really fine stuff but there is no right or wrong way so long as it achieves the desired results.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
I also revert to hand pushing bulino as it takes next to no power to cut this style. I know Ray Cover used to do the same but I'm not sure if he still does or not. I feel far more in control without power assistance when it comes to the really fine stuff but there is no right or wrong way so long as it achieves the desired results.

Marcus, thanks for your input. It's good to know that I'm not completely off in the weeds with regard to the power vs. no-power findings. I have done a little portraiture using the dot technique in steel and concur that one of the biggest frustrations of the technique is the difficulty of seeing the work in varying light conditions. I am looking forward to doing more of this type of work.

Bunic - Per your request for more a more detailed photo, I was able to blow up a portion of the picture (below) to show more detail but blowing ut up made the image a little fuzzy, sorry.

Finally, I highly recommend Chris DeCamillus' bulino video. It’s well-done and Chris did a nice job of explaining several otherwise nebulous concepts. Hope he produces a followup to the first vid.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
JIM : I HAVE JUST SPENT THE LAST TWO WEEKS WITH CREATIVE ART AND ITS NOT AT ALL WHAT YOU THINK IT'S ABOUT. IT IS A LOT ABOUT ART, SO IF YOU CAN GET ANY DRAWING CLASSES, DEFINATELY GO FOR THEM! I'VE LEARNED TO SHARPEN A TOOL SO SMALL AS TO STAGER YOUR IMAGINATION. AND YOU NEED TO LEARN To CUT LINES AND Dots So Small You Wouldn't think It Possible, Until Giovanni Tells You Your Tool Is Too Big, Even Though You Can't See It Without A microscope. To Watch The Guys From Italy Work Is An Education In Itself. But They Are Very Humble People, And I Consider Myself Fortunate To even Be In The Same Room With them. Tomorrow Is The Last Day, But It Was Well Worth It. I've Seen Project Plates That Look Incredible And Are A Testimony To The The Quality Of The Students In The Class. But It Is Also A Testimony To The Quality Of The Instructors. There Has Been A Sense Of Comradiry Which Bridges the Language Barrier The Last Few Days, That Has Been Incredible, Between The Students And The Instructors. We Also Were Given An Original Print Of A Drawing that Giovanni Stedutto Drew In His Spare Moments During The Class, and I Will Cherish It For the Rest Of My Life. The Whole Experience Has Been Incredible. So I Want to Thank GRS For Putting On The Classes And The The Three Gentleman From Creative Art For Sharing Their Knowledge With Us, And For Being So Patiente With Us. It Has Truly Been An Experience Of A Life Time.

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Stewart – Thanks, Good to hear from you. I just visited your website. You’re work just gets better and better. The wife and I are going to Santa Fe next month then on up to Wyoming to the Western Design Conference. If we have time, I’ll swing through Portales on the way and say hello.

Arnaud – Thanks for the kind words, friend.

Tim – Whoa! Slow down! Try counting to 10 and deep breathing in a paper bag. :) Glad you’re having a grand time at the GM. You sure sound excited about the experience. Can’t wait to hear all about it so give me a call when you get back to Earth.
P.S. Regarding tool size... (Remember, size isn’t EVERYTHING.)

Latest posts

Sponsors