Question: animal engravings

Iam new at engraving, I toke a corse at GRS training center back in may, so i dont know alot. i was asked to do a deer on a peace for a neckless. I was hopeing that some one could give me some tips on finding a picture, or how to do animal engraving. Is it more of dents in the metal to get the texter or what iam pretty much lost.

Thanks.
Whitney Stewart

Welcome! You willl find many skill sets on this forum and likely your instructor from GRS may also be hanging around. I suspect you are desiring to work a bulino deer on a pendant. You didn't mention which class you attended or previous experience you may have acquired. Do you understand the design process, have a design in mind or are you looking to use an acquired design? Do you need instruction for transfer work? You can use the search engine for the forum or if you can be more specific, I am confident you will find guidance for your project on this site.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Whitney, :tiphat:

I just took a course with Chris DeCamillis on bulino engraving which is what you are wanting to do. I am sure that others with more experience than I will add some detail to this posting but bulino is not a matter of simply making indentations in the metal but actually removing metal in various ways and directions to add depth and shade to the image - one of the hardest things I had to learn was to back off the pressure applied to the tool to be able to shade correctly.

If you were to do a search on Chris or bulino you will find some pointers which will help but in my opinion, having already stated that you are a newbie, practise will be needed to come up with a result you would be happy with.

Have a look at this thread by Andrew Biggs taking note of number 11. It may apply to you in this situation or it may not but it is something to keep in mind - along with the other all the other tips. :beat up:

http://igraver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279

Good luck and please keep asking questions if you decide to proceed.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
welcome to the forum.animal pictures -- very easy to get. go to the google page, top left- click on the word "images". type in what it is you are looking for. for instance- (deer).
you will find many more images appear than you'll actually need. this will work for any animal or most any object. most of the images will download to your computer. good luck with your project. please send us a foto or 2 when you finish.

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Whitney

I would start by purchasing the "Basic Technique for Bulino Engraving" ( DVD from GRS ) by Christian DeCamillis.

Click on the following link, it should take you there.

http://www.grstools.com/dvds-and-videos/metal-engraving/023-073.html

I did a Google search for Deer Pictures and found more Deer Pictures than you will ever need.

Once you have looked at Christians DVD you can come back with more questions.

Ken Crutcher

Well thanks you for all the info. The class i toke at grs was Combination Course for Bench Jewelers from Todd Daniels. That was pretty much my first step on becoming a jeweler. sence the class Iv been working with my dad at his jewelery store learning the trade. I will have to look up that dvd.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsors