Inlay metals and color

baldeagle

Hello, I'm a new member having joined a couple of days ago.
I have a couple of questions that I would like information on.

The first question, I am designing two inlays to place in/on stainless steel. The inlays will consist of platinum, gold, possibly silver. The one feature, (silver?) or some other material, I want in green in color, much greener then (green gold).
Is there an alloy that exists that can be inlayed , engraved and where the shade of green can be controlled.

Second question, my understanding is a dovetail cut is required to hold the finished inlay and with stainless steel, what would be the proper depth needed. These inlays are intented on either side a revolver and both inlays have a round feature in the center and will be with a convex surface.

Any help would be will received,
Thanks
Baldeagle

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, at least i'll welcome you to this learning place. i'd answer your questions, but am not the least bit practiced enough to get too technical. i would have to think dovetailling the sides would be mandatory. otherwise, i don't think the inlay would be locked in permenantly. as to depth- i think that would depend on your wire diameter, and how much inlay metal you wanted to remain proud of the gun surface. many others here can help much more on this than i can. send us a few fotos of what you have done.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I dont know what youre working on but have inlaid copper wire into a coin. Then oxidized it to green by putting it in a container of pool shock (dry powder). The copper turned green in a couple of hours. Maybe if you give more details of the project and wire/sheet sizes and what you want to achieve,more people will chime in.
Good Luck,
Keith

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a reasonably thin wire you don't have to dovetail. You can cut the channel with a flat and then just cut teeth into the bottom. Drive the flat in at an angle, leave a double space and repeat all the way down the channel, then turn around and fill in the gaps with teeth pointing the other way. Between the teeth on the bottom and straight walls the inlay should be nice and secure.

peteb

Elite Cafe Member
Titanium wire will color with the application of heat. However the layer of oxidation is very thin and subject to wear.

PeteB

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Quote from original post: "I want in green in color, much greener then (green gold)"

The only ways that I know of to get a "real" green color... would be a patina, anodizing, or metal dyes. (Yes, they exist)

Some of these methods will endure longer than others, and you may be able to apply a protective finish to extend the lifespan of the color.

There really isn't enough information given in the original post. What is the item going to be used for? Where will the inlays be placed in relation to being exposed to abrasion ?

Brian Marshall
SJAS
Stockton, CA USA 95209
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com
http://jewelryartschool.com/

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good point Brian - you can get a variety of greens with electrically anodizing Titanium.

Not sure if you can get the green he wants, but you can get quite a few.

There are a few threads here about the process - do a search for anodizing and look for things by Santo.

Sponsors