Rose Laman - 1923-2010

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm sad to announce the passing of my mother, Rose Laman. Mom was 86 years old and lived a full life.

Born in rural West Virginia in 1923, mom experienced the Great Depression first hand. Jobs and money were scarce but people in her community bartered for goods and services, with my grandfather doing mechanic work in exchange for food to feed his family.

Mom was a nurse and after dad died in '86 she retired and joined the Peace Corps, doing medical work in Sierra Leone, Africa. After her Peace Corps duty she married my step-dad Dr. John Laman, and together they worked on Medi-Vans administering free health care to families in poor neighborhoods in Florida. They were quite a team. Dr. John died at 92 years old.

She moved to Louisiana to be close to Abigail and I and immediately went to work at Friends Of The Library, a volunteer charitable organization that collects used books for book sales with the proceeds being donated to local libraries. She was an avid reader and loved books, read the paper from cover to cover every day, and stayed on top of world news and politics.

Mom's lifelong passion was sewing and she was an avid quilter. It was a common sight to pass her house and see her at her sewing machine or cutting table. She leaves behind a dazzling array of quilted masterpieces and humbly said that she was really not that good.

With failing eyesight, painful arthritis, and two knee replacements, she forced herself to keep going. Abigail gave her a computer and taught her to email. This quickly became a very important part of her daily life.

She was a mother to my sister and I and a mother to three of my cousins. She was also a friend, advisor, and a very funny lady with a great sense of humor.

She faced death bravely and without fear.

They just don't make 'em like her any more.

~Sam

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Sam,
My condolences and thoughts are with you. Been there, done that and know how hard it is. She sounded like a special lady.
Rex

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Condolences To you and Abigail, and as you said they don't make 'em like her anymore...
Jerry and Joan

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
nevertheless the blessed age,losing mother must be one of the worse things that can happen to a person.. oprechte deelneming Frank

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam and Abigail, I'm so sorry to hear the news. We'll keep your family in our prayers. Memory Eternal!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My condolences to you, Abigail, and the rest of your family Sam.

Your mother obviously was a remarkable woman.

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
She was an amazing women from what I read. May God be with you and your family always but especially during your grieving time.
God Bless you and your family.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Sam & Abigail

A mighty Totara tree has fallen.

Mary and I send you both our most sincere condolences. It hasn’t been an easy time for you lately but you can take comfort in the fact that your mum was surrounded by your love and compassion for her right till the end and her song will always live on through the stories you tell about her……………. And what good stories they are!!!

A big hug to you both

Andrew and Mary

Fred Bowen

Elite Cafe Member
Judy & I wish to add our condolences to you & Abigail on your loss. The Greatest Generation was certainly that and earned every bit the respect due them.

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
Sam & Abigail
My cincere condolences to you both.Your Mom sounds like a remarkable woman,and must have touched so many lives.May you ,Abigail and the rest of your family find peace,healing and sweet memories.
Condolences
Dennis Sprague

JBrandvik

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, Deepest sympathies to you and your family over the loss of your Mom. She sounds like the kind of person we all wish we could be more like.

guzzi

Sam, so sorry to hear of your mother's passing, she is without a doubt in a better place with no pain and love all around.

jb

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam she sounded like a very special person that touched so many peoples lives. This earth will be less without her. Not many of us can leave with such a life of giving. Thoughts and prayers go out to you, Abigail and Rose's friends and family.

Sponsors